Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Liver Paté



Hey guys! My job has been keeping me completely out and about, exhausted and dead but still very much Keto except for a few faux-pas in the land of cheating, I really wish I could keep those in check but my foibles might forever be presents, who knows?! Meanwhile I keep keto and keep impressing my doctor with my perfect cholesterol score. Been keto for 4 years now and I'm perfectly healthy, minus a bit of high blood pressure due to my weight which I'm hoping to drop in the future months.

My schedule has been absolutely crazy like I mentioned. I wake up at 5:30 every morning (even weekends!) because of my diabetic cat who needs a shot of insulin, lunch happens WHEN possible and dinner, well, it's easier to cook when your energy bar is still full. We bought a grill and meat has been on the menu, a lot.

Whenever I think back on the blog I realize that this is one of my best self-support tool but then realize depressingly how I haven't cooked anything great or amazing in a while. 

So!

While listening to the 2ketodudes podcast, I overheard that Carl Franklin didn't like liver! What a shame, being French myself I am a huge fan of fois gras and terrine of every style and went on a journey to try and find him a recipe that he would make and try at home. I didn't have to search too far, Jacques Pépin gave me all that I needed.

Fun fact, mister Pépin lives in Connecticut as well!  No excuses for not trying this absolutely wonderful meat which is both cheap and loaded with nutrients and fat since half this recipe is butter, a perfect keto recipe. You can eat it with a spoon, spread it on cheese crisp, on vegetables, on low-carb bread cut in 4 and toasted etc etc. Personally I've been spreading it on dry sausage all week for lunches.

Chicken Liver Paté 
by Jacques Pépin

1/2 lbs of chicken livers
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
1 small clove of garlic, peeled and smashed
1 bay leaf
1 tsp thyme
salt + pepper
1/2 cup of water
1 1/2 stick of unsalted butter at room temperature
2 tsp of Scotch or Cognac (to taste, you can go without it.)



  • Put the livers, onions, garlic, bay leaf and thyme in a pot with water, bring to a boil and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and cover for 5 minutes.

  • Using a slotted spoon, carry everything over to the food processor, discard bay leaf.

  • Add salt and pepper, to taste as you go, start the pulse and add butter till everything is smooth, nearly liquid. Add the alcohol at the very end, taste and add more salt and pepper as needed.

Pour out into ramekins or Tupperware containers, it will solidify as it cools. Will last a week if kept covered with plastic film in the fridge or in the freezer for 2 months.

Personally I've been eating this stuff spread on summer sausage all week and it's fabulous for lunch or a quick morning snack with a spoon.

Habanero Cheddar, Summer Sausage and Liver Paté

Nutritional Information


Calories Fat Cholesterol Sodium Potassium Total Carbs Fiber Sugar Protein
Whole Batch 1494 150g 1150mg To taste 544mg 3 1 1 38g
Daily Value Vitamin A Vitamin C Calcium Iron
Whole Batch 622.00% 73.00% 2.00% 125.00%


As always, I hope that you try this recipe!
Hungry Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment