Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Meatballs

Hey People! 

I know you're still around because I can see the stats! And I must say it's wonderful to have you guys around, picking at my recipes and the blog, it cheers me up! I've somehow managed to pick up an extra 20 hours a week of work, leaving me completely exhausted and off my rocker. What a mess! Planing meals has never been more important and by the time I get home at night.. there's very little energy left for me to cook and pack. I found myself stopping at McDonald's a couple extra time a week, and more often than not, eating the buns with my usual "McDoubles from the value menu". Needless to say, the swell is visible in my waistline and my expenses, also as my lovely hub pointed out, "I haven't been cooking as much." By which he means, barely at all, throwing meat in a pan and calling it dinner. Not a pleasant couple months but I'm starting to win out the whole..scheduling thing.

Anyhow! In the greater plans of cooking something else than a slab of meat, I realized to my greatest shame that I've never posted my meatballs! I love my meatballs! They are great and even before going low-carb, I never added bread crumbs so it's a win win situation. Of course to make everybody happy, we heated up sauce and spaghetti squash (YUM!)

Julie's Italian Meatballs
Makes 35 x 1 oz balls
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 9 minutes

1.5 lbs of ground beef 80/20
1/2 lb of ground sausage (I use Jimmy Deans)
1/2 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 tbsp salt
1/2 tbsp pepper
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp thyme
1 tbsp oregano
1 egg


  1. Turn your oven's broiler on with the oven grill in second position from the top.
  2. Gently mix up everything together, over working ground beef can make it hard but you're working with a very fatty mixture here so it's more forgiving.
  3. Using a medium size scoop (or use your hands!) make your meatballs. If you make them much bigger, the cooking time may vary. Rinse your scoop/hands between every few to keep them nice and smooth.
  4. Place the meatballs on a grate in a cookie sheet with sides (don't want that grease to go everywhere).
  5. Place the cookie sheet in the oven for 5 minutes. Open it it, roll the balls around to "flip" them and cook another 4 minutes. Ready!


Easy, peasy, breezy..or something. I use Simply Enjoy Marinara sauce which is super low carb and only needs a minimal amount of spices to make edible (Red pepper flakes and cayenne). My own sauce is.. horribly high in carbs so I make do with this. Served with a side of buttered spaghetti squash, divine dinner!
MOAR PARMESAN!

Have a great day and stay tune for some holiday delight!

Hungry Julie (Still Alive!)
and working 50 hours weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment