Friday, June 20, 2014

Stromboli Review



Hello darlings!

Certain foods that we had to leave behind still come and haunt us in the form of keto-fied versions and leave us in tears because: "It's just not the same!" Among others, french fries, pizza, burgers, pancakes etc. I've addressed a few of them with certain degree of success. My ricotta pancakes have become my go-to when Hub is feeling grumpy, I'll post an updated recipe soon, speaking of which.

The amazing keto community of Reddit and Facebook have come with amazing ways of "cheating" the system and today I wanted to highlight Elizabeth from "Up Late Anyway", who brought us a stromboli dough that is actually super versatile, because when in the hands of the community, it quickly became empanadas, pigs in blankets and danishes. After making a couple of them last night, (and eating them) I have devilish ideas of making cheesy garlic bread with it, also all the above (especially the danishes!)

Speaking of Elizabeth, she mixes her own seasonings, I like her.

Review

For starter the dough has very few ingredients and is easily modified. I followed the original spice lineup for my first attempt, fennel seeds, red pepper flakes and garlic powder.

The dough was very easy to make and it would be really hard to mess up. The only thing is, keep the husband out of the kitchen because if you leave the dough to sit too long cause he needs to dig in the fridge, it might stick to the bottom of your cookie sheet. Invest in parchment paper, I didn't have any and I regretted it immediately when trying to lift it off the cookie sheet.

Easy to follow instructions, clear cut directions. Mix, microwave, knead, roll. Not a problem, I could do this all day. It took about 10-12 minutes to make the first dough and assemble the stromboli. While I had it in the oven for 15 minutes, I made a second one that just begged to go in as well.

Results

Oh My! Right away I was struck by how doughy like it was, not quite bread but doughy. I could see myself eat those all day, if not for how filling it was. We split one and looked at each other when the other came out of the oven and said: "Let's keep it for lunch tomorrow." and ...well let's say that we are weak willed people and over the course of the evening, the whole second one disappeared. We're suspecting big mice..

It was delicious and I give all the props where they are due. I'm going to make it again and again and play with it till I explode. I hope you give it a try of your own!
Warning, Potato Cellphone Camera

Second try, spinach, brie and bacon
Dough Stuck a little, use parchment paper
Aw yeaah, pepperoni n cheese n cheese

Finger Food at it's best, require paper towels

Another terrible picture, I was busy eating!

Cheesiness be with you.
Hungry Julie

1 comment:

  1. Ray went ahead and made empanadas. He won't stop raving about them so I know what I'm making tomorrow. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete