Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Salmon or Me?

"Thyme what is thyme? I wish I knew how to tell you."

"Julie, you said you were back!" Why yes I did. "So where are my recipes!?" Well, you see, when a Hungry Julie has no idea what to cook... "WHAT!?" I mean.. I -have- been cooking, heck, Hub and I have been back into the ketogenic solidly for 3 weeks. (YAY!) And I've been keeping my cooking to a minimalist state. Meat, vegetables, rinse and repeat.

Minimalist state, why? Simple, it's a lot easier to control calories and carbs when your meat and vegetables is in it's simplest form. Butter sauteed vegetables, meat with salt n pepper. I allow myself to juggle the 20/day rule when I'm solidly into the diet but when diving back in, I prefer to limit them as much as possible.

Tonight is actually very low carb! Hub's answer to "What do you want for dinner?" is usually one of two things: 1- Are YOU on the menu? *wink wink* and 2- Salmon. Well that narrows my options. So I went for salmon while I was shopping at BJ's. (Side note, we're celebrating 11 years of being together this week! Yay!)

When using fish market fish, I prefer to lightly flavor the fish, as the fresher it is, the best it taste but with BJ's $8.29/lb salmon, I like to layer on the flavors to mask the frozen taste of sadness. I wish I could afford $15.99/lb fish everyday but today's not the day. Moving on!

Garlic Dijon Salmon
Prep 5 mins
Cooking time 15-20 mins
Makes 2-4 servings (not judging)
Microplane is awesome

Filet of salmon approx. 2 lbs (Can use smaller pieces too)
2 tbsp of Dijon Mustard
2 tbsp of Whole Grain Mustard
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp olive oil
3-4 cloves of garlic, grated or pressed
2 tbsp of fresh thyme
1/2 tsp salt


Oven at 425F
Line a cookie sheet with foil.
Mix all your spices and mustards together, spread on the fish evenly.
Bake the fish for 15-20 minutes, depending on your preference.
Serve with your choice of low carb side!

Super simple and delicious, short cooking time helps with a busy evening and on a hot day like today, it's not too miserable in the kitchen. I hope you'll try it and enjoy yourself!

Salmon is a great fatty meat that fits in perfectly in a ketogenic diet. The ingredients above gives trace carbs per portion but I wanted to give you a generic idea of the nutrition facts of the salmon:
Per 100 gr: 131 Calories, 4.5 gr Fat, 360 mg Potassium, 23 gr Protein, 0 Carbohydrate
Butter Zucchini, salt n pepper. Nom!

As always, your beautiful, amazing and modest hostess.
Hungry Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment