Wednesday, May 21, 2014

And We're Back!


Good May to you all fellow food lovers, low-carbers, web browsers and those who ended up here for other reasons and decided to stick around. Welcome back to Hungry Julie with your  host, The One and Only, Julie! It's been a month or so, I do apologize for the delay but things needed to be settled as mentioned in my previous entry. For one thing, we now are the proud parents of a PUG! We adopted him from the North Attleboro Shelter and couldn't be happier. Our falling in love prompted us to find a new apartment since our landlord at the time wouldn't hear it about dogs and then he went and paved over my garden, remember my garden? Pride and joy! Covered in asphalt! I didn't wanted to know what was coming next and so we moved on. Sometimes it's as easy as that.

Kitchen 2.0 is fully operational!
We're slowly adapting to the new surroundings, our massive book collection is longing to find a home in bookcases rather than the basement and we have enough room for a couch now! It's exciting in it's own domestic kind of way. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the best housewife in the world, being that I have 2 jobs and lots of hobbies, dishes tends to get away from me but I'll say that I've been doing really good since the move. The kitchen is a lot more functional, seeing as it was built to be a kitchen in the first place, unlike our old place. Double sink, self cleaning oven and an exhaust fan! Of all commodities that I'm excited about, that and the floor is straight; feels like we're moving up in the world.
Lookit all that room for activities!
Couple things I want to mention about the kitchen, I had to trim down quite a bit the amount of toys, gadgets and one-use items that I owned, whenever your loved ones knows that you like cooking, that's all you ever receive at Christmas. "Wow, a quesadilla maker! I've always wanted one!"  I donated a lot of that unopened stuff and my old Calphalon frying pans took the trash as well, I had enough of looking at the chipped Teflon coating on all of them, all I kept was the underused stock pot. All I'm left with is a 12-inch grill pan, a 12-Inch skillet,6.5-inch skillet, a Dutch Oven 5-Quartfrom Lodge and Calphalon I have the 8-Quart Stock Potand the 2 smaller pots are this close from the trash as well if I don't find a use for them in the next couple months.

If you're looking to de-clutter your kitchen there is only one thing to do, take a good hard look at everything you own and try to remember last time you used it. The once a year turkey platter or Christmas dishes should be placed elsewhere and the plastic containers without lids should be tossed. Buy new ones and move on with your life. The attachment we create with certain things is just out of control. I had a little heartbreak when my favorite mug came up with a broken handle during the move and it took my friend to toss it out for me, as I have another million favorite mugs (But this one had my cat on it! =^_^=). Also best to do it when the husband (you're not reading this hun are you?) isn't around to look at the lobster butter melter and say "Oh Julie, we should keep this for next time you get lobsters!" because next thing you know, you're on a mission to get rid of them without him knowing and he's hounding you for lobsters.

Are you still reading? Something about a recipe? Sure why not. I've been mildly obsessed with this microwave bread recipe from Alison over at Keto Incognito, she is a wizard with keto baking and gave me permission to give you guys the recipe, so here it goes:

Alison's Bread (TM)

1 tbsp of melted butter
1 tbsp of water
1 egg
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1 tbsp coconut flour

Use a round ramekin or a flat plastic container for this, depending on the shape you want your bread in.

Melt the butter, add water, whisk in the egg with a fork.
Whisk in the baking soda and cream of tartar until well dissolved.
Add the coconut flour, mix it well until smooth.
Microwave on high for 1 minute (I like mine 1 1/2  min because I use a round dish)

Let rest, slice,  butter, toast, make grilled cheese sandwiches, in-bread your cat etc. The choice is yours! Variation involves throwing some garlic powder and rosemary in there for dinner rolls or even Stevia and blueberries for a morning muffin, could do with cocoa powder and banana too if you were that kind of person. I've been making egg muffins for myself and it's a wonderful thing.

1 serving Calories 236 Carbs
8
Fat
19
Protein
8
Fiber
5
Sugar
1
Net Carbs
3


Anyway, I'm done talking, go check out Alison's website and encourage her to post more recipe, I hate keto baking and will not be dabbling in that kind of dark magic but I may or may not  report on my results with her recipes.
Making egg muffins, suck it Dunkin' Donuts!

Keep calm, keto on, be good to yourself.
Hungry Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment