Sunday, February 2, 2014

Germany 2-2

"I work out!"
A few of you knows that I recently hired a professional trainer to help me learn how to properly work out. I had been going to the gym in and out for three years and to be quite honest, I might have gone a dozen time over that period of time. I sat down with myself and put it all in rows. I simply didn't know how to work out and wasted my time and money for so long. I called and cancelled on the spot.

Last summer's hiking project was a superb commitment for me and I'm looking forward to my second 100th mile hike for this year. To follow or join me, look up Julie Laplante on Endomondo, While I had a hoot hiking through the flats and hills of New England, I have visions of grandeur and the Appalachian trails is calling my name. Alas my endurance is not what it should be to even contemplate attempting this feat. So the idea of the personal trainer came to be.

Now, I'm not be rich and it's not cheap, let's face it. But while drawing up my list of pros and cons, the fact that I'll be learning proper knowledge of lifting and training, something that will always stay with me weather I move on to doing myself at home or at a gym. The original fee isn't that bad when you contemplate this. Also, I deserve it, I owed it to myself for the sake of the time and money I wasted at the gym. I deserve a chance to accomplish the things that I want to do. Live with no regrets, or die trying, right?

Tonight we're having another German meal, Crispy Roasted Chicken, the secret is in the spice mixture. Rather far away from my usual middle-eastern preference, even Jonathan Harker was woo'ed by it when Dracula served it to him. "Blood is life!" But in Julie's world, "Spice is life!" The recipe asks that you grind the spices together, you can either use a spice grinder or just buy them ground already. The flavor is slightly stronger when ground yourself but time/effort is all up to you.

"Hendl" aka Roasted Chicken
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time : Varies
Serves 1 chicken

1 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp caraway seeds
1/2 tsp of ground sage
1/4 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 tsp coriander seeds
1/4 tsp rosemary
2 tbsp paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp of coconut flour
5 tbsp of liquid fat of your choice: olive, coconut, lard, butter
Click HERE for link to album, learn how to butterfly a chicken!
  • Oven at 425F for the first 15 minutes and 375F after on.
  • Grind your spices and mix them with the fat until it makes a nice mixture.
  • Rub all over your chicken and throw in the oven till it reaches an inner temperature of 165F
  • Cover with foil for the last half hour so the spices don't burn, you may also baste the chicken with it's own juices every 20 minutes for a moist meat.
Cooking the chicken in a large pan and on a rack helps for air circulating and even cooking
Depending on the cuts of chicken you choose, the cooking time will varies. You could use this spice mixture on wings, legs and thighs alone if you preferred.  I like the split chicken myself because it cooks very evenly and makes for an easy cut afterwards.

Here is a little cooking table for your whole un-stuffed chicken, it's only a guide, you should always tempt test your meat so no one get sick.
2½ - 3 lbs -
3½ - 4 lbs -
4½ - 5 lbs -
5 - 6 lbs -
1 - 1¾ hrs
1½ - 1¾ hrs
1½ - 2 hrs
1¾ - 2½ hrs
Not easy taking a good chicken picture. The flavor was delicious I assure you.

Next week, we're turning Japanese.
Hungry Julie

3 comments:

  1. it looks nice and delicious :) we call it lechon manok here in the Philippines

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering. Thanks for this wonderful post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so yummy...I will try to cook this for my family..thanks for your recipe..

    ReplyDelete