Monday, January 20, 2014

Mexico!

Boy do we travel here on Hungry Julie. Can't have steak everyday in this joint!

Mexico, warm, meaty and full of hot peppers, also corn, beans and potatoes. Corn holds such a place in Mexican cuisine, deeply set in history as it was part of religious traditions and no meal could ever be complete without it in some form. Now we're talking couple hundred if not thousands years ago. The corn we know today is not comparable to the corn from then. I won't go on about GMO's because it's not the place to but all I know is that something's not right.

Moving on! It's hard to eat out Mexican, lots of change on the plate and I hate to be a bother to the cook and waitress.  Not impossible, a plate of carne asada (grilled meat) or grilled fish is always possible to order. Double sides of guacamole, sour cream and salads and I'm happy as pig.

While browsing 52 weeks of cooking challenge from Reddit, I came across this little beauty that made me go "Ooooh" and decided that I HAD to reproduce it. I contacted the original poster and got the OKAY to do do. Finagled with the spices and came up with something unbelievably delicious. On this cold Juanuary night (did you get the pun?), it sure did hit the spot.

Carne Guisada
(Meat in Sauce)
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 3 hours
Portions 4

2 1/2 lbs of pot roast, cut in 1'' cubes
1/2 onion, minced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 can of diced tomatoes, drained
1 tbsp of tomato paste
3 cups of beef broth
2 tbsp of cumin
2 tbsp of chili powder
2 tbsp of smoked paprika
2 tsp of salt
Olive oil as needed


  • Heat up a pot on medium-high heat, coat with olive oil.
  • Brown the beef cubes on all sides, working in small batches and set aside.

  • Turn the heat to medium-low and add a bit more oil.
  • Add the onion, pepper, jalapeno and garlic, cook gently until they soften and brown up.
  • Add the tomato paste and the spices, cook for another minute.

  • Using an immersion blender, pulse all the vegetables together with a bit of beef broth.
  • Add the beef back to the pot with the rest of the broth and the diced tomatoes.

  • Bring to a boil and let simmer uncovered on low for 3 hours or in the crock-pot on low for 6 hours.

  • Serve with cauli rice or as is. Add sour cream, shredded cheddar if you want.
Did I mention I found my camera? I was hiding.
By now the beef is so tender, it falls apart with the fork alone. Enjoy!



Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sugar Net Carbs
Total 1938 26 84 256 7 12 19
1 out of 4 485 7 21 64 2 3 5


More Mexican goodness coming this week, just waiting for the fish to defrost. Lill hint, whole red snappers!

Hasta MaƱana!
La Julia de hambre!



1 comment:

  1. This was a great article that really was really helpful to me and I really can’t wait to learn more from your valuable experience. This was really very interesting to me.
    butcher shop escondido

    ReplyDelete