Monday, January 27, 2014

Mexico 2-2


Hello there! Did I miss my mark? Yes I did. Thursday night my lovely mother in law invited herself to dinner, little did she know what that it was full fish night. She got a little queasy at the sight of the heads but she was a good player. Alas it gave me little time to post my blog and the rest of the weekend had melted away before I could say "Huachinango a la Veracruzana".

Red snapper is a delicious fish that I discovered while in Cuba. Freshly fished and tossed on the grill with garlic oil and peppers n onions. Happy Julie are easy to come by when there's fresh fish. I had to settle for frozen myself and honestly, I didn't remember how much bones there was the first time I had it. Warning, the bones of the snapper are very hard and very sharp. Next time I'll be sure to use fillets because we got a little nervous while eating. The Veracruz sauce was absolutely delicious, weather or not you like olives ( I don't), they are whole and easy to avoid. Leaving the sauce with a delicious flavor that would go really well with any fish or pork even.

Red Snapper a la Veracruz
Makes 4 portions
Prep Time 1h
Cooking Time 1h

2 whole red snappers**, gutted and scaled or 4-6 fillets
1/2 lime juice
Salt and pepper

Cover fish with the lime juice and spices in a non-reactive container and place in the fridge for 1 hour to marinate. Turn the fish every so often. (Non reactive would be plastic or ceramic)

3 tbsp of olive oil
1 big ol' onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 jalapeno, minced (seeded if you're into that)
14 oz of diced tomato
1/2 can of tomato paste
1 cup of green olives with pimiento
1/4 cup of olive brine
1/4 cup of capers
1/2 cup of chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp of dried oregano
1 tsp of cinnamon
salt and pepper


  • Heat up the oil in a sauce pan, add the onions, garlic, jalapeno and some salt. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, on a medium heat. Don't let it burn but you want a bit of heat to cook/steam your veggies
  • Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and chicken broth stir and cover for a good 10 minutes with a bit more salt.
  • Uncover, add the spices, olives and capers and cook a few more minutes on medium heat until you have a nice thick sauce.
Nice Thick Sauce
  • Heat up the oven to 350F
  • Drain the lime juice from the fish and place in an oven proof casserole.
  • Pour the sauce over and under the fish and place in the warmed oven for one hour.
  • Serve with vegetables and other low carb options like cauliflower rice. 



**You get extra points if someone eats the eyeball

This ends my little bit on Mexican cuisine. On to Germany.
Hungry Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment