Sunday, January 19, 2014

Lebanon 2-2

Hello Hello! Sorry about the late post, I promised to do this on Friday but I didn't expect my job to kick my butt so hard. I came home and fixed dinner like a zombie. I took a couple pictures but after making everything I was so famished so you'll have to excuse me. If you can marinate and grill chicken, you won't miss the beautiful step by step that you're used to. Sarcasm detected? Maybe? Feeling closer to despair. Cooking is very simple, for me but I've come to meet a lot of people of my age who've never cooked a thing in their life beyond frozen pizza and mac n cheese from a box. It somewhat baffles me. I remember the Home Ed. that we received in High School and looking back, we learned how to make pancakes and pizza on hamburger buns. Where did it all go so wrong?

Between school kids being fed lunches that looks like this horror show of nuggets, choco milk and wtf is that? and parents being too busy (or lazy) to cook proper meals and end up ordering pizza at the end of the day. Paving the way to more obese young adult who can't boil water or fry an egg. The pleasure of eating is lost and only the wanton for MORE is left. When I first met my husband, he was a pretty big fan of Chinese buffets, those 5$ all you can eat monstrosity that we could find just about at every exits between Montreal and Bellows Falls, VT. Looking back, we weren't smart, no we were not.

I know sometimes my cooking is a bit busy and complex but the steps are simple, if there's ever a question, I would hope you would ask it because I'm never too busy to answer it. I've done a couple "technical" posts and I will be doing more in the future. Knowing how to cook properly a cut of meat is the "foot in the door" of culinary arts.

And for now, as promised,

Shish Tawook
Prep Time 15 minutes
Marinade time 4-24 hours
Cooking time 30 minutes on and off
Makes 12 skewers

3 lbs of chicken, cubed 1 1/2"
1 cup of lemon juice
6 tbsp of whole fat Greek yogurt
6 tbsp of olive oil
2 tbsp of cider vinegar
15 cloves of garlic, pressed
2 tsp of black ground pepper
1/2 tsp of ginger
1/2 tsp of oregano
1/2 tsp of paprika
1 tsp of salt
2 tsp of tomato paste


  • Mix everything together and let rest in the fridge from 4-24 hours. Don't skip this step, the longer the better.
  • Skewer your chicken on metal skewers, it cooks better.
  • Grill the skewers on a Foreman Grill or a cast-iron grill pan if you are grill-less like me. 12-18 minutes total per skewers.
  • Once cooked through, toss the chicken in a container with a tight lid while the rest of the chicken cooks. Keeping it under lock for a few minutes will keep it warm and moist.





Calories
Carbs
Fat
Protein
Fiber
Sugar
Net Carbs
Total
2285
20
101
323
3
5
17
1 ~ 12
190
2
8
27
>1
>1
>2

The nutritional facts are for every single drop of marinade. Take it as it comes.


Tzaziki

1 cup of whole fat Greek Yogurt
2 tbsp of lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic, pressed
1/2 a cucumber, diced in very small pieces
1 tbsp of FRESH mint (or dill)
1 tsp of salt


  • Mix everything together and adjust to taste. Some people might like it more garlicky or more lemony or even more minty. Your choice. This was pretty much perfect.





Calories
Carbs
Fat
Protein
Fiber
Sugar
Net Carbs
Total
202
16
5
22
0
6
16
2 tbsps
25
2
0.5
2
0
>1
2

Serve in a pita bread from St-Joseph Bakery (4 net carbs per wrap) with Tzaziki with some fattoush salad. Or make a platter, whichever way you prefer. I love Lebanese food, if you are from there, please adopt me!
Oh heck I forgot to take a pic...

I leave you with this wise exchange between a Diner's Waitress and my Boss:
DW: "How do you want your chicken?"
B: "Cooked through...how else?"

Hungry Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment