Monday, January 13, 2014

India 1-2

One of my favorite cuisine has to be Indian, Lebanese and Vietnamese are very close behind but I prefer to eat out Viet and Lebanese, we'll let's say that very soon in the future, I will attempt it for your greatest pleasure. I'm super giddy today because I finally went into this little grocery store by my house. I had never set a foot in there and today I needed to get this stuff for husband. So there I went, and holy mother of spices. The shop is called Spiceland on Newport ave in Pawtucket, Ri. They have everything I love, from friendly customer service to lovely ingredients. For god'sakes they have Indian burritos! Basically two naan bread with magic in the middle. I was sad because carbs but I could see having one as a treat. (Wag Wag)

Today is the day! I made cheese! Behold! Cheese! (Can you tell how excited I am?) I wasn't sure at first and I had already bought the milk when I saw that Spiceland carried the Paneer in their frozen section. I had a moment of self doubt and nearly bought some but I firmly decided that if I couldn't make it myself, I would make tonight's meal without it. 

Paneer
by Aarti Sequeira
Makes 9 oz of cheese

1/2 gallon of whole milk (8 cups)
1/4 cup of lemon juice
  • Lay out a couple layers of cheese cloth in a colander in your sink.
  • Bring the milk to a boil, slowly and stirring once in a while to avoid burning.
  • At the first sign of the boil, add the lemon juice and turn down the heat to low.
  • The milk will begin separating (It's normal!), use a slotted spoon to stir the curds together, also very gently.
  • Once the milk is all separated, bottom will look like yellow water and top will be curdled white chunk, pour carefully the lot into the colander.
  • Rinse it off well with cold water to remove the lemon flavor.
  • Grab the end of the cheese cloth and form a ball of cheese and squeeze out the excess whey and liquid.
  • Tie the cheesecloth to your kitchen faucet and let hang for 5 minutes.
  • You can eat now like ricotta cheese or if you'd rather form a solid block, keep reading.
  • To form a solid block of cheese, flatten the ball of cheese into a block and set on a plate, place another plate on top and weight it down using a frying pan (or something heavy).
  • Place in the fridge for minimum 20 minutes.
I dearly apologize for the potato pictures, my camera seems to have taken a leave of absence. Aka the kipples have swallowed it, it's somewhere, I don't know, yes mom I looked in my room. For the full album and simplified steps, click here.

Final Result! Paneer
I had no idea what to base my nutrition facts on since this is my first time making cheese. I looked up a couple brands and found one that used the same ingredients and this is giving me a good enough idea what I'm looking at. If you have a better answer, email me! Please: j.saltsea(@)gmail.com



Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sugar Net Carbs
Total 9.2oz 751 6 75 36 0 0 6

No comments:

Post a Comment