Monday, January 13, 2014

India 2-2

Today in the search for my ingredients, I drove by my favorite Indian restaurant, called India (So original!) The food was amazing but the recent increase in prices made me cross it from my list. Sadly. My favorite curry was saag with lamb. I got a little nostalgic and decided to make it at home. Saag basically refers to any curry that is leaf based, it can be made with spinach, mustard leaves or even finely chopped broccoli.

After some googling, I came across Saag Paneer from the Food Network cook, Aarti Sequeira. Simple enough, let's get to work. I already made the paneer and posted about it because I was super excited, now let's make the saag, which I paired with grilled swordfish.

I just couldn't believe how delicious the dish came out. It tasted nothing like the one I had at the restaurant and I didn't care, mine was better! Tears from my eyes, angels crying, husband worshiping at my feet. Like a freaking revelation in my mouth. So yeah. -ahrem- we'll be making this again and again and again and again.

Saag Paneer
by Aarti Sequeira, slightly adapted by me
Servings: 4
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 mins

1 tsp of turmeric
1/2 tsp of cayenne
1 tsp salt
3 tsp of oil + 1 1/2 tsp of oil
1 recipe of paneer, or 9 oz of store bough paneer, cut into 1'' cubes
16 oz of fresh spinach
1/2 white onion, diced
1'' of fresh ginger, minced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp of chili paste or 1 serrano chili, minced and seeded
1/2 tsp of garam masala (if you only have this, the cumin and coriander can be substituted by this mixture)
2 tsp of ground coriander
1 tsp of ground cumin
1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup of whole fat plain greek yogurt

  • In a large bowl, mix the 3 tbsp of oil, turmeric, cayenne and salt. Add the cubed paneer and gently toss. Let sit.
  • Microwave the spinach in a bowl for about 4 minutes, transfer to a food processor and pulse for a few seconds.
  • Place a large skillet over medium heat and add the paneer, oil n spices. Brown on each side for a couple minutes.
  • Add the remaining oil and onion, ginger, garlic and chili. Sautee everything very gently as not to break the cheese. You want to cook this part for about 10-15 minutes without burning it. Lower the heat and add a splash of water if needed. It is the base of the recipe.
  • Bring the heat up again, mix the garam masala, coriander and cumin in 1/2 cup of water and add to the pan, cooking everything for about 3-5 minutes until very fragrant.
  • Add the spinach and mix everything together, again very gently. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
  • Turn off the heat and add the yogurt, mixing it in slowly not to let it curdle. 
  • Turn up the heat again and heat everything through. 

Ready to Serve! Here is the whole album, from cheese to saag, potato cam once again.
Camera has not been found yet. Apologies. It was tasty



Calories
Carbs
Fat
Protein
Fiber
Sugar
Net Carbs
Total
1263
31
89
83
9
5
22
1 out of 4
316
8
22
21
2
1
6


It might seem like a lot of work but it really wasn't. Just a couple extra steps to ensure the perfect flavor. Since I was using the Saag as a side dish, I grilled some swordfish steaks on the side, coated in some oil and Arabic 7 spices mix. I would have to call it perfection. I dearly hope you try it because you won't get that in a restaurant. Make your own paneer too, it was a lot of fun and super easy. If not, store bought is fii-iine.


All yours
Hungry Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment