Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Germany 1-2

I have to say, I gave myself quite the challenge to cook from different culture every week. For one thing, I'm not trained in most of those cuisine so I have to do quite the research online or from books that I own (and never looked at, I just like having them okay?). For this week I chose Germany because of my friend "Strawburreh" whom has been a great support all along my low-carb journey and herself has come a long way to look like the beautiful person that she always was. She's German and loves German food.

And then there's my husband. "I want sauerkraut and bratwurst!" Oh, so original, haha. Fine, let's do it. I set on a journey down the street to a little Polish deli. I had not had the occasion to go in there yet since they're closed on Monday. THANK GAWD because the place is 90% candies from Europe, 5% home made pierogies and 5% meat. I have a massive sweet tooth so it took a lot of courage not to explore the delicious new candies. Anyhow! The nice lady at the counter slapped a couple sausages on the counter and told me how to make this delicious recipe. I had low expectations because I didn't really like sauerkraut. And once again, quality comes ringing to remind us that shitty sauerkraut memory from my childhood are nothing compared to the truth that is GOOD Sauerkraut.
Love that white butcher paper
Simply delicious, the sausage were knackwurst, basically tasted like giant hot dogs, I was happy at how cheap everything came to be too. $8 for 6 big ol' wurst and $2.99 for the massive jar of 'kraut. A little bit of this and a little bit of that and voila. Please try it, it was REALLY good.

German Sausage and Sauerkraut
Makes 4 servings
Prep Time 5 mins
Cooking Time 15 mins

6 fully cooked knackwurst, sliced in 1 1/2 inches slices
3 cups of drained sauerkraut
1 medium size onion, sliced
1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
1/2 cup of water
salt and pepper
2 tsp of fennel seeds
2 tbsp of olive oil
Sausage is smoked so browning adds flavor

  • Slice the onion and sausage while you heat up oil in a large skillet.
  • Throw in the sausage to brown on all sides.
  • Add the onions and let it soften up for a few minutes, add a pinch of salt, pepper and the fennel seeds
  • Add the sauerkraut, vinegar and water. Mix gently with a pair of tongs and turn up the heat to medium.
Add Sauerkraut, water, red wine vinegar
  • Let everything cook until the water is evaporated.
  • Serve with mustard!

Whole Grain mustard did the trick for me but husband preferred without. Your choice!

Another German recipe will be made this week by yours truly and I hope you won't miss it. Eating low-carb doesn't have to be boring or repetitive. But it doesn't have to be complicated either, this was easy as pie and seriously flavorful, you HAVE to try it. If you can't find knackwurst, go for brats but watch for the carb content as a lot of cheap sausage are mostly fillers. If you can find a deli that makes them there, you'll have a higher quality and less fillers.





Calories
Carbs
Fat
Protein
Fiber
Sugar
Net Carbs
Total
2175
71
177
73
20
29
51
1 out of 4
544
18
44
18
5
7
13

Auf Wiedersehen!
Hungrige Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment