Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Cold Lunch

Their salad is yellow because they add turmeric,  I did not but do feel free.

Lunch is probably the most annoying meal of the day. Hardly the time to cook something, or even the means when we're at work. I toyed with the idea of getting an electric frying pan at work but with how much dog hair I already inhale in one day, I gave that up. Then it goes down to leftovers. Sometimes my 4 servings on paper only makes 3 in reality and I prefer sending hubby to work with real food, other he ends up eating an Atkin's bar. While those are fairly decent to get you out of trouble, they should not be your only option.

Making sandwiches with low-carb wraps are one option, I've discovered over time that I can't be trusted with a bag of wraps in the house. My obsession with eating them till they are gone is very strong, not something I'm proud of but knowing where your weakness lies, makes for an easier weight loss. And so I don't keep them around the house. One of my favorite is still from La Tortilla Factory which is available in most grocery stores by the deli counter.

Speaking of deli counter, watch that lunch meat. Most of the processed lunch meat is cured with sugar, especially ham and turkey. Anything honey or maple is right off the list. I suggest you learn which brand is sold at your grocer and look online for the nutrition facts of that brand on their site. Boar's Head for example has quite the selection of lunch meat that has little to no carbs at all. (Hello Corned Beef...)

My personal favorite is to make a batch of chicken salad and bring to work with a head of romaine lettuce. My favorite food carrier from plate to mouth. Low in calories and carbs, I eat as many as I want without any guilt.  And to get to today's recipe, I made turkey salad. While browsing Whole Foods, torturing myself, the prepared food counter had this great looking curry turkey salad, WANT! Sadly, mango, pineapple and raisins made it a big no no for me. I went home and made my own. BAZINGA!

Curry Turkey Salad
Serves 2 people (or one hungry Julie)
Prep Time 5 minutes

4 oz cooked turkey breast, or chicken
1 stalk of celery, minced
1/4 cup of full fat Greek Yogurt
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp dry cilantro or 1/4 cup of fresh, minced
1 tbsp curry powder
dash of salt n pepper

 In a bowl mix up your yogurt with all the spices and seasoning.
Dice the turkey and mix it with the yogurt along with the celery.
Enjoy!







Simple? Yes
Full of flavor? Oh Yes
Lunch Worthy? uh uh
I can go on for a while? You betcha!

Lunch Break is over.
Hungry Julie





















Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sugar Net Carbs
Total 416 8 32 27 0 3

1 / 2portion 208 4 16 14 0 1.5 4

Nutrition facts without the lettuce or wraps

No comments:

Post a Comment