Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Baby It's Cold Outside

I crocheted a cowl for my bear, it's cold in Boston! 

Amirite? Holy Mackerels! I had lost my gloves about 3 days ago and joked to my husband that now all the snow is gonna melt and it did, amusingly enough. The next day it was like The Day After Tomorrow. So freaking cold! In other news, I managed to convince myself to to go the gym this morning, I think I may die from soreness but it was worth it. I'm always happy with myself when I get my butt over there. It was the first time since September and I felt a little shitty about that but now those feelings are all gone, only happy feelings remains. Now to see if I keep going more than two days. One of my biggest issue is that I usually catch whatever germs gives the cold when I go there. What's with dirty people who don't wash their hands or their machine? BAH! I'm looking at you James, wherever you are.

After the mega turkey dinner I made yesterday for my family, I have a little bit of turkey left and not much else. My husband sent me enough "leftovers" recipes to use up a whole turkey so I had to pick and choose what I was going to make, I settled on this New Orleans stew that I "low-carb-ified" with some fan-freakin'-tastic results. This stuff is delicious and ever so soothing on a cold 12F evening.  Soy black beans are a beautiful replacement for any beans because they literally have 3 net carbs for the entire can and they have the same texture as a semi-firm bean. I love them in soup, not so much in a cold salad/salsa. Might be a bit harder to find but they are present in most "Health" food store.

Low-Carb New Orleans Stoup
Serves 6 (it could make less for you)
Prep Time 15-20 mins
Cooking Time 20

6 cups of chicken stock
1 lb of turkey or chicken, cut in 1-2 inch cubes
1 7oz Smoked Andouille (I use Johnsonville), sliced
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 beefsteak tomatoes, diced
1/4 head of green cabbage, shredded
1 can of Soy Black Beans ( I use Eden Organic)
1/4 c of olive oil
1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper
2 tbsp Cajun Seasonings (McCormick)
2 tbsp Smoked Paprika (McCormick)
2 tbsp of Oregano (McCormick)

Heat up the oil in a soup pot, sautée the onions, pepper and garlic till translucent,
Add the tomatoes and cabbage as you chop, letting everything heat up as you go. It's a chill recipe.
Rinse your canned beans in a colander and toss them in the pot with the seasonings and the meats.
Add the broth and stir gently, bring to a boil and turn the heat down to low, uncovered for 20 minutes.
Taste and adjust seasonings, enjoy!

Heat Me Baby!




Calories
Carbs
Fat
Protein
Fiber
Sugar
Net Carbs
Total
2302
58
137
219
31
25
27
1/6 servings
384
10
23
37
5
4
5


From her warm blankets
Hungry Julie

2 comments:

  1. This is really, really, super duper delicious!

    It's perfectly thick and delightfully spicy. A++ will eat again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw yeah I need to make this again, it's been so freaking cold!!! Glad you liked it.

      Delete