Saturday, December 7, 2013

Breakfast, Take Three

Pancakes.
The most American thing I know as far as food goes and yet it's presence in the culinary world spans Ancient Greece to the Northern Russia, Eastern Asia to the Wildlands of Canada. Weather it is filled with delicious sweets such as fruits, cream, chocolate or caramel, it can be a savory wrap for vegetables, cheese and meat. Transcending time and space, one thing remain to be said: I don't like 'em.

SHOCKED GASPS AND FAINTING!

I like waffles, and crepes, and all breakfast foods but thick crumbly slab of dough never did it for me. Especially the American way: thicker is better. Blargh, give me a thin Breton Crepe made with buckwheat flour and filled with ham and cheese or a Crepes Suzette, flambée with orange liquor. But as a wise man once said: "Whom takes husband, takes country." So here I am, early morning on a Saturday, making pancakes for my man.

I've gone through a lot of different recipes since going low-carb and none of them have ever really woo'ed me. The creme cheese crepes is a decent enough substitute but I can get the same result from a thin omelet and coconut flour just absorbs way too much liquid to make a decent pancake, although, not impossible but we'll get back to that.

I've come across something marvelous this morning, a recipe from five years ago from this canadian low-carb blog. I'm passing it on to you because it really made my morning, on top of filling me right up. I hope you give it a shot because I know what I'll be asked to make every morning for the rest of my life. The flavor is great, the texture is a bit heavier than normal but it really does the trick when smeared with almond butter or **ahrem** sugar free Smuckers syrup *ahrem*.

Cold frittata for lunch, I'm ready for my day of hard pre-holiday work!

Riccota Pancakes
Makes 8-10 2 inches wide pancakes
Prep Time 2 minutes
Cooking Time *varied*

4 eggs
1 cup of ricotta cheese (8.5oz)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup of soy flour (I used Atkins baking mix, 90% soy flour)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 packet of Stevia

Whisk the eggs, ricotta, vanilla, oil and Stevia, add the flour and whisk briskly.
Let sit while you heat up oil in a frying pan. I really like using coconut oil now, it's cool.
Use a big ol' spoon to make your pancakes, I'm not going to explain how too, if you can't make pancakes get off the internet man.
I need a new huge skillet haha
Nom nom nom


Calories
Carbs~Net
Fat
Protein
Fiber
Sugar
Whole Batter
1001
22~16
74
64
6
6
1/9 cake
111
2~1
8
7
1
1

Eat with your favorite toppings, frozen blueberries, sugar-free syrup, butter, almond/peanut butter, whipped cream, ham, cheese, asparagus, bacon, sausage, steak, moose filet mignon, double-cheeseburgers...

I'M LATE FOR WORK!
Hungry Julie

2 comments:

  1. How about half a banana, an egg (or two egg whites), one tsp of baking powder, and a portion of vanilla protein powder? Low carb, high protein, easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bananas aren't exactly low-carb. I'll give you that it probably does the trick.

    ReplyDelete