Thursday, December 5, 2013

Breakfast Part Two

The ability to carry one's breakfast is a vastly ignored market, in my opinion. Those failed push-pop eggs were years ahead of their times (and probably tasted terrible) but what an idea! Now a days you can't turn around during your commute without seeing someone scarf down a bagel. At the Dunkin's drive-thru, I peruse the menu only to sigh and order my black coffee. NOTHING on the menu is low-carb friendly. I wouldn't even order an egg sandwich without the bread because the sausage and egg are so far from being good on their own that it's not worth it.

All that to say that I made a frittata, we're talking Italian open faced omelet here. If like me you keep an array of ready to use ingredients in the fridge, this is a fart to make in a hurry on the way out the door when you still need to take a shower and find that one missing shoe.

To be well prepared for the mornings, I should keep a container of minced onion, shredded cheese, half-cooked bacon and cooked ground sausage in the fridge (a project for the future), it would cut down on my prep time. Even with a 5 min prep the night before, this frittata is the best thing on the go.

Morning Frittata
Prep Time 10 mins
Cook Time 10-15 mins

1 oz of minced onion
1 tbsp of fat
4 slices of bacon (cooked if you have them already)
2 oz of ground sausage
1 oz of spinach
1.5 oz of shredded cheddar
4 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream

Oven at 450F
Sautee the onion, the spinach and the sausage in your fat in an oven-proof frying pan. 
Fry the bacon in a separate pan (If you don't have it already pre-cooked), slice in bite size.
Whisk the eggs with the cream, add the cheese, salt n pepper, pour into the frying pan.
Toss it into the hot oven
Put a timer for 15 minutes
Jump in the shower
Take it out, let it cool on a cutting board while you find your shoes or put on some clothes, to taste.
Slice in 4, wrap in a paper towel and run off to work.
Alternatively you could wrap it in a low carb-wrap but paper towels have less carbs (lol)
Watch out, it's hot!


Calories Carbs~Net Fat Protein Fiber Sugar
Whole 1094 9 ~ 8 91 56 1 3
Half 547 5 ~ 4 46 28 1 2

I used a small 8 1/2" skillet
Half of it was plenty for me, I see mid-morning snack or lunch for the other half. Enjoy!

Major Edit at 7PM : This is freaking delicious cold. I'm planning on making them the night before, cooling and place them in my husband's backpack before going to work. 
6 am picture taking is hard

Egg-Cellent!
Hungry Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment