Saturday, November 2, 2013

Brr-rrrr!

My hubby gives me the prettiest flowers

I went hiking with husband for our anniversary, beautiful. Just beautiful. My only grumble is how poorly maintained Rhode Island Parks are. Lack of signs on the road, trails have no markers either and on top of that, the hunting season signs are so outdated that hunting season WAS full on so we tried as hard as possible not to look like deers.

But all the same, the weather gets colder, the trees are bundling up and so are we. Stocked up my kitchen with squash, stocks and meat. It puts me in a stew and soup mood. The last few weeks have been a repeat of beef bourguignon, stroganoff and curries. While I miss sweet potatoes, squash makes for an awesome switch up and I don't miss them one bit.

Today I give you, Kaddo Bourani. An Afghani recipe that made everyone at the table completely melt away in pleasure. I have in my right mind to make it meatless for my vegan friends. This amazing recipe is now at the top of my forever favorites. I hope it becomes yours too!

Afghani Squash and Beef (Kaddo Bourani)
Servings 4
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
For this recipe, Jack sacrificed himself.

1 medium size squash of your choice. (pumpkin, buttercup, acorn, butternut)
2 tbsp oil
2 lb of ground beef (80/10) or lamb
1 onion, minced
3 cloved of garlic
1 x 8oz container of portobello mushrooms
1 tbsp grated ginger
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp turmeric
14.5 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes
salt n pepper

1/2 cup of full fat coconut milk
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp fresh mint leaves, minced
1/8 tsp garlic powder

Combine the coconut milk, lemon juice, mint and garlic, salt n pepper. Place in the fridge.

Cut your squash in half and remove the seeds. Place in a 400F oven for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, brown the meat with the garlic on medium-high heat. Drain the fat carefully.

Add the garam masala, cinnamon, turmeric and tomatoes, salt n pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer while everything gets ready.

Once the squash is out of the oven. Slice the skin off and cut in cubes.

In a different frying pan, heat up the oil and cook the onions and mushrooms until they are nicely browned. Add the pepper flakes and ginger, salt and pepper. Let cook for a few minutes and de-glaze with half a cup of water (or pumpkin beer if you have it). Mix in the squash cubes and gently toss them with the onions.

In your serving platter, first lay out the meat and then top with the vegetable mixture. Serve with the now "yogurt" mint sauce.

While I dislike two-pans dishes, this was definitely worth it. The meat could be made ahead and warmed up at the time. The picture here above was made with half a pumpkin and ground pork, because that's all I had the second time around. It was really good but I will make it with the beef and buttercup squash the next time.

Until next time, stay warm!
Hungry Julie





1 comment:

  1. Sounds marvelous! I love this kind of dish and do them often. I'll be trying this one!

    ReplyDelete