Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Kitchen Travels

Hiking with honey for our anniversary

I've always been a big fan of ethnic foods, I believe that if we're landlocked, cooking is just as good as travelling. Fine, Fine... It's not the same but you only say that because you haven't tried my cooking!

But we're getting away from the subject at hand! I know people who thinks that salt n pepper is all the spices they need and I believe the emptiness in their lives can be filled with something as simple as a small jar of garam masala. A fix-all mix of cumin, coriander and cinnamon that I enjoy using in just about anything.

Have a go at this fine Moroccan Beef Stew that I came across. With the cooling weather, we all need a nice warm bowl of this stuff to keep cold and flu away. After giving blood, Chris and I needed all the help we could find to get back on the horse, so to say. We've proudly given three times now and we even managed to get Chris's brother to give with us, it would turn out that his blood type is 0 negative. I believe in fate when I see it.

Moroccan Beef Stew
Servings 4
Cooking time 3-4 hours

2 lbs of beef stew, or sirloin cut in 1" cubes
oil, as needed (I like using coconut oil because it smokes a lot less)
salt n pepper
1 onion, minced
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp of cayen pepper
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp thyme
2 cups of beef stock
2 cup of fresh kale, chopped

Oven at 300F.
Heat up 2 tbsp of oil in a deep pot and brown the beef by batch.
Don't crowd the pan!
Like bourguinon, don't overcrowd the beef, remove the browned beef to a separate bowl once it's ready, we only want to give it color and flavor.

All the beef removed to a bowl, heat up a final couple tbsp of oil and cook the onions and garlic till it softens up, around 7-10 minutes.

Add all the spices to the onions and gently cook it together for a minute or so.

Add the beef back and the beef stock, cover and place in the oven for an hour. Uncover and cook for another 2-3 hours. Stir in the kale about 30 minutes before you pull it out of the oven.
Om nom nom!
Delicious over spaghetti squash. Enjoy!

Hungry Julie


2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! :) Will try this tonight, sounds great!~

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really good... thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete