Monday, October 7, 2013

Autumn Rains

Today started out with a beautiful eerie fog as I drove my husband to his 6:30 am train. After a bit of early grocery shopping, I found the desire to cook and clean. Shocked and amazed, I followed that feeling and threw a chicken in the oven, simply coated with olive oil, pepper and that new Himalayan pink salt that I  recently added to my collection. I had no idea where I was going with it until a bit later, while perched over a sink-full of dirty dishes that my seasonal depression was probably phasing out. September, along with April and November have that weird effect on me where I have no desire for anything. While my conscious mind tells me it's nonsense that I would be depressed, my sub-conscious drags me back to bed, back to the ice cream, back to pizza delivery.

In my case, nothing cures more the Weather Blues than cooking. Every season brings us new favorite ingredients that we don't use nearly often enough. Alas with the low-carb living, sweets and treats are often out, especially if one SHOULD be in weight loss mode and not maintenance (but that's for another argument with the scale later.) But I'll have none of that, there is plenty of good food I can make that reminds me of home, and feel good. Even now as I type, I can smell the fresh thyme on that chicken in the oven, bubbling oil and crispy skin, but that will be for later, right now we're talking, meatloaf.

I remember my mom's meatloaf, meaty and full of healthy hidden vegetables. She always used oatmeal to keep it together instead of breadcrumbs, something her own mother did so when it came to my own meatloaf, I used it as well. When I met my husband and his family, the first meal his mom cooked for us was meatloaf, what a culture shock! The thick ketchup and brown sugar topping made me think twice about marrying into the family but when I sat down and tried it, I was ever so pleased! So when it came to my own meatloaf, I did it as well. **Wedding Bells**

Now years have passed and my meatloaf got a brand new update, let's call it, meatloaf 2.0. No more oatmeal and no more ketchup goo, we've moved on to better things that I will now share with you.

Bacon Wrapped Cheesy Meatloaf
Prep Time 15-20 mins
Cooking Time 1 h 15 mins

2.5 lbs of ground beef and pork mixed
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
4 tbsp butter
5 oz of baby spinach, raw
1/2 lb of fresh mozzarella, sliced or shredded
10 slices of bacon
1 egg
1 tsp of salt, pepper,
1 tbsp of rosemary, thyme

In a frying pan, melt the butter and gently cook the garlic and onions with thyme and rosemary until everything is soft and lightly golden, 8-10 minutes.

In a bowl, add the content of the frying pan (butter and all) with the meat, egg, salt and pepper, mix gently with your hands. Too much kneading makes for a hard loaf.

Oven at 350F

Prepare a 16'' cookie sheet with a long piece of cling wrap and spread out the meat carefully along the wrap. It should be as long as the cookie sheet  and as wide as the cling wrap.


Lay out spinach and cheese well spaced out on the meat.


Using the cling wrap, slowly roll the meat in a tight roll. If the meat break, wet your hands and rub it back into place, it should stick easily.
Ta-daa

With the slices of bacon, wrap your log in any fancy way you wish to. The lattice pattern helps the bacon stay in place when cooking.

Place a piece of foil on the loaf and bake for 30 minutes, remove the foil and bake for another 30-40 minutes. Crank the heat to broil and brown up the bacon for 3-5 minutes, keep an eye on this part.

Let the loaf cool for a few minutes before cutting into it or you'll loose all the cheese. Enjoy!
As my husband said, "OM NOM NOM NOM"




Calories
Carbs
Fat
Protein
Fiber
Sugar
Net Carbs
Total
4754
16
394
269
3
4
13
Servings 6
792
3
66
45
1
1
2

Here's to hoping the rain ends soon so I can get more cleaning done. (Yes, let's blame the rain.)

Hungry Julie

11 comments:

  1. Hands down the best meatloaf recipe I have thus far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mine is in the oven right now..... im so excited!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just now saw this comment, how did you like it? :D

      Delete
  3. MY wife made this tonight.....thank you....thank you....thank you!!!! It turned out amazing with venison instead of beef :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best meatloaf ever! My husband and kids loved it, one of the few meals all of my picky eaters liked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made mine with Elk meat and some sharp cheddar with motzarella.... my fiancee loves it more than his moms... futer mother in law isn't too happy haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine is in the oven now. I used ground turkey and ground pork. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just put it in the oven!!! I cant to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can this be prepared a few hours before baking

    ReplyDelete