Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Soup Time

Last days of Summer in Vermont

We live in a blessed era. The internet allows us to connect with so many people from across the globe, sharing and partaking in a melting pot of information. For those who are lucky enough to have access, we take it very much for granted, between settling a drunk argument about who was "that actor in that one movie" and learning basic spelling and maths, we are IN the future. No flying skateboard yet but I would daresay that it's on it's way.

Anyhow, my point is, I've been connecting with amazing people through the IRC #ketochat and one of them in particular, "Squarewave" has given me a recipe to test out and present to you on this blog. Lucky you! 

In the low-carb lifestyle, cauliflower is often used as a replacement for potatoes, I assume mostly for it's white color and grainy texture but in truth, it is nothing alike. My friend "Stingroo" swears that daikon is a much better replacement for them (and so we will be testing that next). Mashed cauliflowers are made of sad and only the metric ton of cheese added to it makes up for their bland texture and flavor. Although on it's own and flavored, such as with a buffalo sauce and blue cheese dressing, it makes for a really good snack. I'll bug my IRL friend to give me the recipe to pass on to you folks. 

But here we are, cauliflower soup. According to Squarewave's significant other, Xooxie, the soup taste like a "loaded baked potato", and I must admit that he is right. The soup was delicious and full of flavors. Again the sheer amount of cheese and meat makes up for the bland consistence of boiled cauliflower but it makes an excellent soup base. I definitely advise you to try it, if you miss leek soup it's also a great replacement for it.

Square's Cauliflower Soup
Serves 8 bowls
Prep time 10 minutes
Cooking time 15 minutes

1 medium-large head of cauliflower, cut in chunks
1 quart of chicken stock
2 cups of half-half
4 oz of mozzarella cheese
4 oz of shredded Parmesan
2 lb of uncured ham, diced
8 slices of bacon
1 medium size onion, diced finely (around 200 grs)
1 stalk of green onion, minced
Salt and Pepper
Slab bacon makes everything better
  • Place the cauliflower and the chicken stock in a deep pot and set to boil for 10 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a separate skillet, remove when crispy, leave the fat.
  • Cook the onions in the bacon grease until they are soft and slightly caramelized.
  • Once the cauliflower is softened, use an immersion blender to pulse it to a creamy texture without lump.
  • Add all the ingredients, bacon grease, onions, half and half, cheese, crumbled bacon, ham and green onion.
  • Cook another 5 minutes on medium heat, to warm up everything and melt the cheese. Salt n pepper!

My husband devoured it in a few moments, so I'll call it a great success


Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sugar Net Carbs
Total 2885 69 143 251 17 40 41
Serving (8) 360 9 18 31 2 5 7

Thank you Square and Xooxie for this recipe, I hope to feature more of my readers and friends's success recipes in the future.

Your hostess,
Hungry Julie


3 comments:

  1. I made this for dinner this evening. Delicious! I added a little garlic powder to the pot (maybe a teaspoon or two) and threw it all in the crock pot on low for a couple of hours. My boyfriend and I were thinking we could possibly use this as a basis for clam chowder at some point - I'm excited! This recipe turned out so good, I'm sure I'll keep it handy for future dinners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing. If you make it, let me know :D

      Delete
    2. Marla Nix I just made this it was so good I think next time I will put mushrooms in with onions! This recipe opens up so many possibilities! My children kept thanking me. Thank you!

      Delete