Monday, September 2, 2013

September

"Not all those who wander, are lost."
Hey there!

Summer is over, let's see those bright smiles! I know some of you enjoy these viciously hot months but I can't seem to motivate myself enough when the thermostat is above 80.  I just want to sit naked in front of the AC while playing video games. That's my summer. But in and all we had a good time, my garden was surprisingly fruitful for a first try, between the tomatoes, cucumbers, peas, beets, chili peppers, cauliflower, broccoli and eggplants, I would call that a success.

As it would happen, we just got back from a four days camping trip in Elmore, Vermont and saying that we fell off the wagon and exploded the rail would be only the tip of the iceberg. I have no regrets! Local brewery for the husband and delicious pastries for me. Vermont has come a long way and into the 21th century of food and pleasure. French style bakery in Montpellier had me on the floor and the Applecheek farm annual pig roast was just amazing, we spoke to the guy who grew the potatoes and the corn, laughed with the guy who gutted the pig and petted the chickens that the farm-kids were bringing me. What a blast. I managed to squeeze in a little hike, all the way to the top of mt. Elmore. Last time I was there, I must have been 5 or 6 with my dad.

I wanted our first meal back on the wagon to be a special one, something to motivate us and I did not disappoint. Ignoring the leftover apple pie in the fridge and the cookies my husband needs to take to work, I navigated my kitchen to find a couple recipes I had tucked away for a rainy day. I hope you try it, let me know how it turned out.

Swordfish with Poblano Pesto
Serves 2
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cooking time 20 minutes

1 piece of swordfish ( 1 1/4 lb)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp of Ancho Chili Rub (recipe follows)

2 tbsp ancho chili powder
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp fennel
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp dry thyme

The pesto can be made a few days ahead, will last a week in the fridge

3 Poblano peppers
1 jalapeno pepper
1/2 C of fresh cilantro (0.5oz)
1/4 C walnuts (1oz)
3 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp lime juice
3/4 C grated parmesan (3.4 oz)
1/2 C olive oil
1 tsp salt

  • Char the peppers under the broiler for about 5 minutes, let cool and peel.
  • Add all the ingredients to the food processor and pulse for 2-3 minutes.








Preparation
Before
Oven at 350F.
Place the fish in an oven-proof dish, oil the fish and rub with the seasoning all over.
Bake the fish for 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven and spread a thick layer of pesto on the fish.
Bake for another 10 minutes.
Let rest for 5 minutes.

Nutritional Facts are for the entire batch of pesto


Calories
Carbs
Fat
Protein
Fiber
Sugar
Net Carbs
Total
1, 531
17
149
36
5
2
12

Your host,
Hungry Julie

1 comment: