Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Summer Barbecue

Love that green house smell

Less updates in the summer, I know, I'm a pain. But heat and heavy cooking don't mix so well! I rely on my crock-pot heavily to limit how long I have to spend above the stove, but it doesn't mean that we can't have BBQ! Most store bought sauces are very sweet, the best I could find in the grocery store was Stubb's with a wooping 6 carbs per  2 tbsp. Compared to some whom reaches 13-20 grs of sugar for the same quantity, it's a very good choice but to me it's still a bit too much when considering that I would use an entire bottle for one rack of ribs and eat it all myself. Bad idea!

So let's make our own sauce! At first, husband and I were suspicious but I gave it a try anyway and to be fair, it tasted -really- good. Nay-sayers might complain about the sweetener in the sauce but to reach the right flavor, there is a need for balance between sweet and sour, I would suggest you try a buffalo sauce instead but when you are in the mood for barbecue, this is the thing:

Low-Carb Barbecue Sauce
Prep time 2 minutes
Cooking time 20 minutes

1 medium size onion, sliced thinly (2 1/2 inch diameter)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup of butter
2 cups of water
1/4 cup of cider vinegar
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 can of tomato paste (6oz)
1 tbsp of liquid smoke, hickory flavor

4 tbsp powered sweetener (I used Stevia)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp black pepper

Melt the butter in a sauce pan, cook the garlic and onion until softened.
Stir in all the dry spices, 1 1/2 c of water, cider and Worcestershire sauce, simmer for 15 minutes.
Using an immersion blender, pulse everything to a smooth texture.
Whisk in the tomato sauce, liquid smoke and the 1/2 c of water if too thick (leave out if you prefer a thicker sauce for basting.)
Simmer for another 5 minutes and it's ready to be used.

I added the extra water because I was cooking my ribs in the crock-pot so I needed the extra liquid, the sauce is perfect without it to baste meat on the grill or in the oven. I hope you'll try it and save yourself the trouble of buying sauce made with corn syrup and preservatives.
There is no taking a good picture of sauce cooking. Have some ribs.


Calories
Carbs
Fat
Protein
Fiber
Sugar
Net Carbs
Per Batch:
575
39
46
9
7
20
32

No comments:

Post a Comment