Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Inspiration

"Find inspiration in the world around you."

I think I might have heard that in church, but this quote in particular has always been with me because if not in the world around us, where might one be inspired? I often look at recipes and when I try to re-create it, I end up with something completely different from the original. Also I find inspiration in the blogs that I read, weather they be about weight loss, travelling or cooking, they lead me to wanting to do more, to have a fuller, happier life.

Today I went hiking! I did a lot of camping with my family while growing up but we either stayed in one spot for the week or we canoed down the river Jacques-Cartier, there wasn't much walking involved. It was my husband whom first took me hiking as a sport, he had fond memories of his trips with his father and he aimed us at mt. Monadnock in New Hampshire. Now go back in time, about 6 years. I was around 280 lbs, completely out of shape and clueless about what we were going to face. We barely had any water, we brought a bag of trail mix and smiling like lunatics, we climbed. I have one word in my mind to summarize this trip: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Rocks after rocks after rocks of climbing, non stop. Burning sun, heat and bugs. To add insult to injury,  a bazillion people just kept getting by us, I recall a lady telling me she was doing this to celebrate her 60th birthday, and she passed me. There I was, huffing and puffing like I was having a heart attack. I'm amazed I didn't. The descent is a haze in my mind, it was dark and instead of 4 hours it took us 7 to do it and the rangers had come to see if we were alright. The next few days were, horrible. I won't even go there.

Fast Forward, today. I went hiking! I walked 3,7 miles, hopping around the Moose Hill Wildlife Sanctuary in Sharon, MA. What a gorgeous hike it was too, I climbed two hills, the Moose and the El, slow incline and well marked trails. I was in heaven. All you hear is the sound of crickets and birds and I was alone with my thoughts. I keep going back to Monadnock in my mind because I want to vanquish it. Not just climb it, I want to be up there and doing a little gig because I did it. I want to be 60 and climb it like a mountain goat. But when I find myself on top of the Moose Hill, huffing ( a lot less than before, mind you) I know I still have a long road ahead of me. Of my 200 miles challenge, I've hiked and biked 80 so far. I don't have a time limit but I'd like to be done before winter. Maybe I'll include skiing in that challenge if it comes to it.  I haven't gone skiing in years and I love it. Why don't we do the things we love more often?

I leave you with this question and this recipe, which was inspired from Msspwn  from the ##loseit irc chat.

Pork Chops Stuffed with Green Beans and Ham
Prep time 10 mins
Baking time 15 mins
Servings 2

4 skinny cut pork chops
2 oz of thinly sliced deli ham (8 small or 4 big slices)
50 gr of green beans
1/4 stick of butter, melted
4 x 1 oz of strong cheddar, (optional)
salt n pepper
BEHOLD! POUNDING! *snk*

  • Oven at 350F
  • Pound your pork chop flat, using a mallet or a rolling pin.
  • Lay out the ham, (cheese), beans in that order.
  • Baste the green beans with butter and sprinkle with salt.
  • Roll your pork chop into a bundle, secure with kitchen twine or toothpicks.
  • Baste the outside of the roll with butter, sprinkle with salt n pepper.
  • Bake in a cookie sheet for 15 minutes. Enjoy!

Nutritional Information include cheese, it's optional because my husband didn't want any. 


Calories
Carbs
Fat
Protein
Fiber
Sugar
Net Carbs
Total
1501
6
87
177
1
3
5
Per Serving
751
3
44
89
1
2
2


Only the finest china will do.


Hungry Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment