Monday, June 10, 2013

Pleasure

Mahi-Mahi with roasted cabbage

There's far and few things that I will simply not eat, I've been in the mood to watch a "Cook's Tour" with my food idol Anthony Bourdain and I would need twice his salary to accept to eat duck embryo eggs. Bleah! He's got guts, but then again if presented with it, I would be hard pressed to refuse. The promise of the best Pho in the streets of Hanoi would make the threat of weird food stuff worth it. One thing I've recently added to my short list of "Won't Eat", is birthday cake. Now hear me out, I make a mean Black Forest cake but yesterday I came to the realization that eating a mouthful of frosting and cake didn't give me any pleasure anymore. The sheer horror of that fact made me very sad and very happy at once.

Have I overcome my "addiction" to carbohydrates? Or did my sweet tooth disappear? Hardly since I was happy to have a couple bites of ice cream on the side (Yes, Yes, I was a bad girl.) But where once I would have eyed the cake with envy and obsession, I felt nothing. Nothing puts food in perspective than the lack of it. It was more or less the first time I had actual cake in about a year. Even the sliver of German's Chocolate Cake I made in April left me slightly stoic, it was my own creation so I knew how good it was but even that left me with an empty feeling.  Healthy Julie is pretty happy but the "Bon-Vivant" Julie is in a corner, pouting.

I hope in the future, once I have regained a healthier shape I can re-visit the food that brought me pleasure and have a healthier relationship with them, such as bread and desserts.

Meanwhile, I made this amazing mahi-mahi in my grill pan and it would be perfectly fine on the outdoor grill as well. I hope you give it a try, the vinaigrette brought out so many flavors, it was incredible!

Mahi-Mahi with Dijon Vinaigrette
What a beautiful fish!
1 filet of mahi-mahi (about 1 lbs)
salt and pepper
2 tbsp curry powder
coconut oil

1 beefsteak tomato, seeded and cubed
1/4 cup of diced red onion
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon
1 tbsp white wine vinegar

Whisk the vinaigrette together.

Put your skillet on a medium high heat burner.
Coat your fish with coconut oil, season with salt, pepper and curry powder.
Place the fish, flesh side down first into the pan and let cook for 5 minutes.
Flip it and cook for another 3 minutes.
Serve it topped with the vinaigrette.

If you try to flip the fish too early, you will break the fragile crust. I sliced the filet in two portion to make it easier. The side dish is roasted sliced cabbage, With the only difference that I pressed garlic directly on the slices and leave it to roast rather than just rub it.

Enjoy your meals!
Hungry Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment