Friday, May 3, 2013

Food!


Let's say for a moment that you are dying, the moment of your execution has come and you are granted one last meal. Anything. What would it be? One of my greatest inspiration, Anthony Bourdain, often plays this game with the people he speak with. Aside from having a worldly view on food and the greatest philosophy on respecting other cultures, his dislike of the whoring out of the Food Network and it's reality food shows makes him one of my favorite guy out there. For him a bagel with cream cheese, as simple as that. I asked myself long and hard what mine would be and I think a couple steamed lobsters dipped in garlic butter would make me super happy.

Food makes us happy, and tonight in particular is a very happy meal. Did I say happy a few times? That might be because how many miles I biked yesterday, 25 to be exact, I feel like I'm walking on clouds. I was super hungry so I made a bunch of delicious bacon avocado ranch deviled eggs while the ribs were cooking. Three hours at 300 F and a bottle of Jamaican Jerk seasonings, now that's the way to go.

Tonight's recipe is inspired by “Stork” , a member of the r/keto irc chat that expressed his disdain for raw broccoli when he saw the last post's picture of my pepperoni salad. Raw broccoli is one of those acquired taste/texture and I've been lucky and hard-headed enough to learn to like it. Now I can't live without it! I give you, broccoli slaw! Perfect for summer cook outs, a little sweet, a little sour.
It's not easy being green

Broccoli Slaw

Portion 4
Prep time 5 minutes

2 crowns of broccoli, finely sliced
¼ big red onion, finely diced (2oz)
2 tbsp of dried cranberries
2 tbsp of pepita nuts (sunflowers seeds would be good too)
2 tbsp cider vinegar
1/3 Cup Mayonnaise
2 tbsp Caesar dressing
1 tsp stevia

Mix everything together and let it sit in the fridge for an hour or so before serving.
Mingles Marvelously with Ribs



Calories
Carbs
Fat
Protein
Fibers
Sugar
Net Carbs
Total:
841
39
74
10
12
16
27
Per Serving:
210
10
19
3
3
4
7


What would be your last meal?

Hungry Julie

4 comments:

  1. That looks awesome, Julie.

    I love the dedication, too. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. My last meal, I think, would be my mom's meatloaf. It's amazing, and simple, and my mom's. Great post idea, Julie! And I LOVE me some broccoli salad. :)

    -Annakate
    Kitchen Crew
    www.justapinch.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Motherly meatloaf is one of those perfect food. :D

      Delete