Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Because I said I would



I discovered this charity through Reddit when this one guy decided to raise money to send 10 cancerous children to Disney. Not only did he manage to do just that but the answer was so amazing that he managed to send ( If I recall) 100 children and their family to Disney. Now, this kind of devotion to fulfilling promises made me look at myself. I have a real confession to make this time, I am the queen of procrastination. I'm often lazy and unwilling. All these promises all these years, made to myself or to the people around me: “I will lose weight” or “Yes grammy, I will call more often.” and I make up excuses and I find ways around it but deep down, I know.
and fulfilling it.
To break the cycle, I began losing weight, actually doing an effort this time and 70 lbs lighter I still find courage to carry on because I see the amazing results that my efforts brought on. Next, I finally donated blood, a promise I made myself 11 years ago when I turned 18. To make up for all those years of making up excuses, I also joined the bone marrow donor list. I will now try and break my grand-father's record of 55 blood donations over his lifetime. Also, I made a summer list (Like a bucket list but less dying at the end) so that I wouldn't spend summer inside this year. My biggest excuse being that hubby won't come out with me, well turns out he's such a great sport that he agreed to come hiking with me this year. Yay!

It took a lot of effort but so worth it!

My summer list includes: 

Planting and Caring for a Garden. Step one 
Hiking/Biking 200 miles (68 miles done so far!)
Playing 3 rounds of mini golf
Going to the beach at least 5 times
Hike every Audubon Society in RI (12 total)
Go to a theme park (because roller coasters!)
Go to a water park (Chris adores those)
Climb an actual mountain
Raise money and walk for charity

More will come I'm sure as time goes by and I'm actually looking forward to having a lot of fun rather than expend my ass on a computer chair. I also find that I am much less tempted to cheat or overeat if I'm outside than inside. So killing two birds with one stone.

This is your homework this week, make a summer list and stick to it! Make it fun!
As for dinner, tonight I made coconut-ginger tilapia and good-to-god stuffies. Food for thoughts and the belly.

Coconut-Ginger Tilapia (as seen on the Spice Rack)

Nutrition Information for 3 servings of fish and all the marinade divided, use own judgement, no one drinks all the marinade, even if it is THAT good.
Prep time 5 minutes
Bake Time 15-20 minutes
No one can make this look good but it taste damn great!

6 tilapia filet
1 can coconut milk (14 oz)
1/2 jalapeno, minced
1/2 cup of cilantro
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp ginger, minced
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp salt

Oven at 425F
Put all the ingredients save for the fish in the food processor and buzz the life out of it.
Pour over the tilapia filets.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the fish is flaky. (ta-daa)
C for presentation q.q Gordon Ramsay is cursing me somewhere

Calories
Carbs
Fat
Protein
Fibers
Sugar
Net Carbs
Total:
1306
10
75
145
0
0
10
Per Serving:
435
3
25
48
0
0
3

Stuffed Quahogs (perfect for summer BBQ)

Nutrition Info for 5 half shell portions, could be made into 6 easily.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Bake time 15 minutes
So pretty!

4 quahogs
8 oz chourizo, ground
1 tbsp Cajun seasonings
1/2 green bell pepper (or red), minced
1/2 onion, minced
1 stalk of celery, minced
3 cloves of garlic, minced to death
4 tbsp of butter, room temperature
3/4 cup of almond meal
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup of grated Parmesan

Oven at 400F
Mix the butter with the garlic, place in plastic wrap and form a log. Place in the fridge.
Bring a pot of water to a boil, boil the quahogs for 6-8 minutes. Throw away those that do not open.
Open them up completely and remove the clam and the muscle, mince and set aside. Rinse the shells.
In a large skillet, add a bit of oil and saute the onions, peppers and celery till tender.
Add the chourizo and heat up through. (Most chourizo is pre-cooked, but check the package).
Remove from the heat, add the almond meal and the egg. Mix thoroughly.
Open the shell completely or break off the middle part to lay them in a cookie sheet.
Fill each of them with enough mixture (I only made 5 fat ones myself).
Top with a slice of garlic butter and a shake of Parmesan.
Bake for 15 minutes. Enjoy!
FEAST!


Calories
Carbs
Fat
Protein
Fibers
Sugar
Net Carbs
Total:
1,673
30
139
90
12
11
18
Per Serving:
335
6
28
18
2
2
4


I will make another post soon, because I said I would ;)

Hungry Julie





1 comment:

  1. «I will now try and break my grand-father's record of 55 blood donations over his lifetime.»
    Are you sure it's not your father who gave 55 blood donations??

    ReplyDelete