Monday, April 22, 2013

ZING!


Greetings!

Tonight's dinner. Zing swordfish, steamed little-necks and buttery zucchini

It was Hubby's birthday this week-end and since he begged me for my scrumptious German's chocolate cake, I could not resist him. Also I could not resist the cake. I'm fighting these conflicting feelings but deep down, the reasonable Julie is winning. I had a small piece, of MY own, home made cake. Not some store-bought horror. I know how much sugar and flour I put into it and the size of cake I had wasn't gargantuan like it used to be. And now the leftovers are sitting in my fridge and they aren't calling my name. So in and all, I came on top. I simply refuse to call it cheating, why, because this is my life, it's not a get-skinny quick gimmick. A year ago now, I turned my back on the food life we had and never looked back. We had pizza once in a while, I took a few bite of cakes at Christmas, skipped my own birthday cake without any sorrow and last week-end, I had cake. This is my life.

Now cheating would be diving head first into a pile of jelly beans! My teeth ache just from thinking about it, that's the kind of things I would regret horribly. Live without regrets, said a wise man. A hard task but once that opens the doors to happiness.

Speaking of happiness, swordfish was on sale. What a wonderful change from CHICKEN. A nice quick marinade, at room temperature, that will leave your mouth with a happy feeling.

Zing-Swordfish
Chili Paste, is there anything you can't do?

Feeds 2
Marinade time: 20mins
Cooking time: 10 minutes

2 Swordfish steaks, about 1 ½ lb pound total
¼ c of olive oil
1 tbsp chili paste (sambal oelek)
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp fresh cilantro
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh ground pepper

Marinating!




Mix all your ingredients together.
Marinade the fish at room temperature for 20 minutes.
Light up your grill on medium-high heat.
Cook the steaks for 5 minutes on each sides.
ENJOY!


 Now I don't have a grill, I use a cast-iron grill pan that does “just as well”.

Notice the air quotes? Yes I mustard-gased myself in my small apartment because of the chili paste. If you cook this on stove top, make sure you have a good ventilation. Also you could cook it under the broiler for maybe 4 minutes per sides no more, depending how thick your steaks are.


With tears in my eyes,

Hungry Julie

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious and the ingredients sound like they'd blend nicely. I'll try this, though I doubt I can get swordfish in my small city. Will have to try it on another type of fish I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any type of white fish would do it think. Cod and haddock for example.

      Delete