Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Rum Ribs- Part One


Hey everybody, it's a great pleasure to have been added in the r/ketorecipes's list of keto blog. Some of the recipes on this blog are not keto but there was a time where potato and rice was most of what I ate! And my love for baking as been curbed by my desire to not die at 30 from a heart attack. Meanwhile you might be new or old to this blog, there's this recipe that I've been meaning to try for a long time, go ahead and give it a try, I didn't go about it the way I wanted but it gives me the occasion to try it again as it was absolutely delicious.

When you bring liquid to a boil around the meat, you want it to stick around for a good long time otherwise it just boils it quickly and the cartilage doesn't have time to break down yet. Which was my mistake in this case but it did came out wonderful, if not a bit hard to chew on. Next time I have a plan and will keep you update on it. I promise for real this time.
Great cut of meat, good fat, some cartilage
As usual I hope it inspires you to try something new, maybe someone will try and crock-pot this stuff and help me skip a trial. Personally, next time I will lay it all flat in a long Pyrex dish and let it cook for 3-4 hours at 250 in the oven and finish off the liquid in a saucepan until it thickens.

Rum Soaked Short-Ribs


1 bottle of 750ml of spiced rum (If you use cheap stuff, it'll taste like you did)
4-5 lb of short ribs, cut in lovely bits (ask your butcher)
2 tbsp rosemary
Step one and two
2 tbsp thyme
salt n pepper

- Prepare your ribs and lay them out in a wide. frying pan (or dutch oven), bone side up.

- Toss in your spices and rum.

- Bring to a boil, cover and turn the heat down to a simmer. Leave it alone for 30 minutes.

- Uncover carefully (the steam will burn you!) and with a pair of tongs, move the ribs around so those who have been cooking in the fluids are now on top and vice-versa.

- Allow all the fluids to boil down to nothingness.





a GOOD rum will taste like you paid $20 for this bottle (true story)

*If you are more patient than me, allow the ribs to cook a little longer till they caramelize in what used to be rum.
NEED MORE COOKING TIME
This is the recipe as it was originally, the meat was tender but not “fall off the bone tender”. Husband and I loved going cavemen on the ribs but next time, slow-cooking will be the key to a "tenderer" bite.
So freaking good!

Ask yourself, why is the rum gone?!

Hungry Julie the pirate.

Aaarrrr

No comments:

Post a Comment