Thursday, April 25, 2013

Portions


A little while back my friend Michael over at Ketopia made a great example of how we perceive portions.Which in turn inspired me to inspect my own habits. Having hit a stall in my personal weight loss and combated the deep desire to eat cake (with some victories and some losses), I wanted to see exactly what was holding me back. While I was religiously putting down in my food journal what I was eating in one day, I came to realize that I was 1- Eating too much, 2-Under-estimating the amount of food. Off handedly, I began weighting my food, which I rarely did because I thought I could guess-timate how much I was putting in there. Turns out 3 oz of meat is a lot smaller than I expected.

My snacks were also getting out of control. Cheese and nuts are pretty awesome but when the problem is deeply-set into the intake amount rather than the matter taken, measures needed to be taken. So I took the almond tin from the car, because stuck in traffic on the way home, 1 oz of almonds will simply not do. Nor will it do while sitting at the computer for 3-4 hours a night playing Borderlands with Hubby.

one ounce
Here I took the picture of what 1 oz of almonds and 1 oz of mixed nuts looks like. It's not much is it? The tin says that 1 oz = 28 almonds, I counted 26 in this picture. Our own brain plays tricks on us to get us to eat more. It's part of our survival instincts. Some people become very depressed when they are dieting because their brain isn't fed as much serotonin.

So in and all, something to keep in mind, especially in a recipe like tonight, it might seem high-er in carbs at first sight but like marinade, you probably won't eat all the liquid and vegetables so give yourself some leniency. I put in the entire caloric content because it didn't seem right guess-timating but if you make it, take the amount of carbs with a grain of salt.

Lamb Stew

No time to cook is never an excuse
Portions 4
Cooking time 8 hours

3 lb of lamb, cubed
2 Cups of chicken broth
½ Cup of cooking white wine (carb free)
1 x 14.5 oz can of diced tomato
12 oz of turnip, diced
8 oz of baby carrots, whole
3 oz of onion, diced
salt and pepper
1 handful of fresh parsley (1 tbsp of dry)

Set everything in the crock pot for 8 hours on low.
Read a good book, go see a movie, visit a museum or get a massage.
Come home, have dinner with someone you love.
This is happy in a bowl


Calories
Carbs
Fat
Protein
Fiber
Sugar
Net Carbs
Total:
1,770
57
60
235
19
31
36
Per Serving:
443
14
15
59
5
8
9



As always, with my love

Hungry Julie


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out Julie!

    It's amazing how small the recommended serving sizes can be, especially compared to a ravenous appetite.

    Great post. I commend you for looking at this as well.

    -Michael

    ReplyDelete