Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Green Everywhere!


IT'S ALIVE!
Spring is at the door! Can you smell it? I'm very excited this year because my landlord promised to dig me a garden, so I did the crazy thing and planted a bajillon seeds in preparation. Now I have a bunch of green little plants waiting to be transplanted outside. In honor of spring, I prepared a couple of tasty things for you guys to try.

"lots" is my kind of unit of measure
Tracy's Marinade is a simple recipe that my aunt was going to use on her lamb for Easter but went with the mustard instead (yum!), instead of letting a nice recipe go to waste, I decided to try it on a couple pieces of cushion meat. I used to buy pork loins from my butcher but he convinced me to try the cushion piece which is conveniently located in the shoulder of the pig. Moist, tender and cooks much faster than a dense loin. I was sold to the cheaper cut of meat and now use it regularly.

For appetizer on my mother in law's birthday, I made some deviled eggs with a twist, I've been on an avocado spree and sneak them into everything, it made up for some pretty delicious Avocado Bacon Ranch Deviled egg, now I feel a deviled egg spree coming on. I'm very fickle, in a delicious way.

I hope you all spend this time of the year making plans to go outside, explore and discover the beauty of nature once the weather leaves you no more excuses (waah it's too cold) to stay inside. Have a great Spring!

Tracy's Rosemary Marinade
Step one, marinate

½ cup of olive oil
¼ cup of red wine vinegar
¼ cup of cider vinegar (or rice)
½ cup of dry or fresh rosemary
1 onion, diced
5 cloves of garlic, diced
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp pepper

Mix up the marinade and soak in your pieces of meat at room temperature preferably for about an hour or in the fridge for up to 4 hours. For pork cushions, using a probe thermometer, reach 145F by cooking it in an oven at 350F.
Step two, bake to 145F
Step three, devour

Avocado Bacon Ranch Deviled Eggs




8 eggs
1 avocado
4 slices of bacon, cooked and cut in 16 pieces
3 tbsp of ranch dressing (more or less to taste)
salt and pepper (to taste)






- Place the eggs delicately in a pan of water, cover, heat up to a boil, turn off the heat, leave alone for 10 minutes.
- Cool in cold water, peel eggs. (Some people add white vinegar to the boiling water to help peeling the eggs.)
- Slice eggs in half, remove yolks to a bowl
- Add avocado, dressing and seasonings to the yolks, mix well
- Fill the egg white cavities with the green mixture, decorate with a piece of bacon.

The one egg to rule them all
Try something new every day
Have a great day, and be good to yourself

Hungry Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment