Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Chicken! So. Much. Chicken!

Mouth water cheese waterfall

I know, I know, chicken isn't exciting (above picture non-withstanding). Even my husband gives me "the look" when I tell him what I'm making without going further into details. But once I describe what's going to happen to it, he usually softens up a little. (A lot)

Tonight we are having Chicken Cordon Bleu! Originality coated in bread crumbs (or flour) and covered in a thick creamy sauce, this version is ultimately keto friendly and less gross. I've always disliked fried food and as a general rule, I never ate it.

Do yourselves a favor when it comes to buying cheese, skip the pre-shredded stuff. It's coated with potato starch to prevent caking and you're putting carbs inside of you that could be easily skipped by buying a block of cheese or sliced at the deli. Same goes for lunch meat, avoid the "honey roasted" or "maple" because it adds sugar and fake flavoring, we certainly don't need that.

Chicken Cordon Bleu

Feeds 4 people
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 45 minutes
Nutrition Facts: Calories 755, Fat 29g, Carbs 2g, Protein 110g, Fiber 0, NET CARB 2g

4 split breasts, boneless and skinless
8 slices of black forest ham ( half a pound, cut thick)
8 slices of Swiss cheese ( half a pound, cut thick)
12 slices of thick slab bacon
3 tbsp olive oil
salt n pepper

It looks like a heart !

Oven at 350F
1- Cut open your breasts and happily pound it flat with a meat mallet (see here for details).
2- Place your meat and cheese inside, fold.
3- Wrap 3 slices of bacon around each breasts.
4- Using a pastry brush, gently apply some olive oil to the expose breast meat. Sprinkle salt n pepper.
5- Place in a deep dish and bake for 40-45 minutes.




Shamelessly I would like to "plug" my Kiwi knife that I've been using for over four years, the durable wooden handle, the tempered blade that rarely dulls and the inexpensive price all wrapped up into one of the only product I'd be glad to endorse. Click here to get your own Kiwi knife!




Enjoy! (I swear I'll make a pork dish next!)
PPS : Don't forget to check out the Amazon Store at the top of the site.

Hungry Julie

3 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot for this, I am currently looking for low budget keto dinners. Your recipe is awesome, Can you elaborate some more on cheese? I live in Taiwan and all I can find are sliced cheeses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most sliced cheese are fine. I would still keep an eye on the nutritional information but fancy shredded cheese is usually coated in starch. It keeps it fresher and flaky. It's not a huge amount but it can be easily avoided by shredding your own cheese.

      Delete
  2. Hi there - this recipe looks amazing! I'm not exactly a seasoned chef, but when you say 4 split breasts, do you mean 2 chicken breasts split in half which makes it 4 split breasts?

    ReplyDelete