Monday, March 18, 2013

The spice of life

Oh man, I have been sick! As a dog one would say, but where  does that expression comes from I wonder, dogs in general have a pretty strong constitution (and I'm not talking about itsy bitsy rats here, real dogs!) So let's say I was sick like a Bichon Frisé, how about that. Somewhere between my third box of tissue and the never-ending cycle of DayQuil/NightQuil, I decided that a cold was better to a bad cough. But then the skin around my nose started cracking and I decided that I hated everything and everyone and went back to bed.

-INHALE!-  See this? That's air flowing through my nose! We're two days before Spring, there's a snowstorm coming upon us, I started to prepare my garden for the summer and everything is just glorious! Chris is in a good mood, what else could a gal ask for?

So I went and got more mahi-mahi! Woohooo! I might have a slight obsession with the stuff but what a wonderful fish, thick and meaty, not too flavorful on it's own and cooks quickly. Also it grabs the marinade wonderfully. As my usual I made a pound of garlic butter shrimps to accompany the meal and some zucchini sauté'd in butter. So simple and delicious, that should be my motto.

I prepared a "Chermoula" marinade, which has origin in northern African countries such as Tunisia and Morocco. Made specially for fish, it has a light tang and a wonderful fresh taste. I hope you try it for yourself!
Cut down the middle to make sure it's nicely cooked in the middle

Chermoula on Mahi Mahi

Preparation: seconds
Marinating time: 15 mins to 1 hour

1/2 cup of fresh cilantro
1/4 cup of olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp salt
juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp of water
a couple strands of saffron (optional)
Marinade at room temperature for a better flavor.

For the best flavor, throw everything in the food processor and buzz until it has a thick consistency.
Marinade the fish from 15 minutes to 1 hour.
For Mahi Mahi: cook 20 minutes in an oven at 450F.


Have a great week and celebrate all the flavors!
Hungry Julie

1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious! I bake a lot of fish and will definitely try this.

    ReplyDelete