Sunday, March 3, 2013

Something Fishy


“Two weeks without updates! How dare you, Hungry Julie!”

Now now good people, put down the torches and pitchforks, I gave you -three- updates during that week and I've been quite the busy bee during those two weeks. I hunted down a lost beagle, whom we recently caught up to, he's now happily resting at the shelter while waiting for his new home. Also I did many shopping trips to find new ingredients to use (Coming Soon: Black Soy Beans. Dum Dum Dum!) And my latest Coup de Coeur (T'was love at first sight, I swear.) Coconut Oil!

Dr.Bronner's all in one, fair trade etc etc. Coconut. Oil. Now if you follow the paleo/ketogenic news, you would have to be blind not to have read about coconut oil. But for the others whom read this blog, I tell you what, If I had known about this stuff before hand, I would have nixed butter and oil a long time ago. The Taste! The Flavor! ( Stay still my heart) I don't think anything in the world could not be made better by frying it in coconut oil. Words are not enough, you should try it.

Tonight, something very fishy has befallen my kitchen. Between Ginger Lime Soup and Mahi-Mahi a l'avocado, a side of garlic shrimp is happily nestled. Have a good feast!

Let's Make Soup!

Ginger-Lime Cod Soup

Inspired from: Things my Belly Likes
Makes 4 servings

3 Cod Filets
2 cans (15oz each) of fish stock
1 small onion, minced
2 cups of shredded cabbage
1 minced jalapeno
3 cloves of garlic
1 inch of fresh ginger, grated
2 portobello caps, cubed
½ cup of lime juice
Salt n Pepper
1 tbsp coconut oil (or any other fat you prefer)

Heat up the oil in a deep enough pan, add the onions, garlic, ginger and jalapeno, sauté them on medium-low heat for 8 minutes.

Add the cabbage, stir everything together and make a small hole in the middle of the pan, place the fish filets in said hole and leave it to cook for a couple of minutes so the bottom sears nicely.

Add the fish stock, mushrooms, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Lower the temperature and let simmer very gently for 20-25 minutes.

Pour in the lime juice at the very end and serve warm.

I need to get better bowls for pictures

Fiesta Mahi-Mahi 

(coming up with these names makes me laugh)
serves 2 hungry folks

1 lb of mahi-mahi
1 tbsp of cumin powder
1 tbsp of paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

Oven at 350F
In a greased cookie sheet, place your fish and lightly brush some oil over it.
Mix all the spices together and spread over the fish, rub it in with your fingers.
Bake for 15-18 minutes, check for flakiness.

For the side of guacamole you'll need:

2 avocados
¼ of a big red onion
1 plum tomato, diced
2 cloves of garlic
¼ C of lime juice
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cumin

Peel the avocado and dice into a bowl, pour the lime juice over them.
In a food processor, pulse garlic and onion together for a fine fine mixture.
Add everything to the avocado and adjust the spices.
Also a jalapeno could be added in with the onion.

Because I can, I also sauté'd some shrimps in butter and garlic for a few minutes, they make a great addition to any fish dish. The secret is to not over cook them. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment