Tuesday, March 5, 2013

I heart Artichokes

Naked!

I mentioned this before but when I first met my lovey, he did not eat many things outside of his comfort zone. The only onion he ate was deep-fried and coated with sauce (Awesome Blossom, anyone?) How awesome it is that ten years down the road, this Steakums loving American, now revels in pig feet stew, does a little dance for garlic roast and just about squeal when I make stuffed artichoke. To feed is to love, indeed. Most meals I cook are with him in mind. I see asparagus and right away I think of his favorite way of eating them. If I don't know what to cook, I usually grab a roast or a salmon filet. Tongue in cheek, we moaned over our woes, “Oh woe, woe is us! No pasta!” As we just finished a plate of roast and artichokes. Simple, good, wholesome food. Who needs an ingredient list the size of the bible. If there's one thing we can agree on, is that artichokes, are good, even if a lot of work.

Lamb Stuffed Artichokes

Inspired by Giada De Laurentiis
Stuff me all the way to the bottom!
Makes 2 artichokes
Carb Counts: 10 net

2 medium artichokes, trimmed
1 cup of water
1 cup of cooking white wine
½ lb ground lamb
2 white mushrooms, washed and minced
½ onion, minced
2 cloves of garlic
2 slices of cooked bacon, minced
½ cup of Parmesan
2 tbsp of fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper
Olive oil

Heat up some oil in a frying pan, cook the onions, garlic, lamb and mushrooms until the meat is no longer pink and the onions are translucent, salt and pepper liberally.

Add to a bowl with the Parmesan, bacon and parsley. Mix and let cool slightly.

Gently peel the layers of artichoke apart so you may stuff them easily. Use a spoon or your fingers and jam the filling all the way to the bottom of each layers.

Pour the water and wine in a deep pot and place the artichokes at the bottom, bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer for 40 minutes.

Remove them very carefully from the pot using tongs and make sure you know how to eat an artichoke! I had to pry the leaves out of my husband's mouth the first time he tried to eat them. You delicately rip the bottom of the leaf with your teeth, easing the filling in your mouth in the same swoop move.
Meat? What meat, there is only ARTICHOKE!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment