Sunday, January 20, 2013

Mushrooms all around!

Chris and I looking amazing

Happy Post Holiday Season! Where we feel the weight of our food abuse in our hearts and hips and the remorse of an empty wallet. But here's to hoping that your memories outweighs the downsides! Mine did. I abused! Oh lordy, did I abuse. But then again, a couple licks of potatoes here, a bite of tiramisu there, I can confidently say that I was a very very good Julie during the holidays. Although I have to say that I've come to realize how BAD sugar is an addiction for me. It's been a very slow climb back into the saddle of low carbs. Everyday is a struggle but I know that I'll come on top of it. Cheating is so easy, a french fry here, all those chocolate lollypops that sits on the counter at work that I've been ignoring for the past ten months, they call my name! Juuu-lliiieee

But enough of this, I will be strong! I made a promise before Christmas to make something vegetarian for my friends and I have kept this promise! I was challenged to make a dish that everyone at game night would enjoy and this Hungarian Mushroom Stew came up, while I was in a huge hurry to make it and did not take any pictures (Sad face) I will direct you to the original page and give you my own twist on it.

My version is much less creamy and since I didn't go hunting down Hungarian sweet paprika or mushroom base, I tried using items I had at home. Try both recipes and you decide! For a vegan version, use olive oil and tofu yogurt, super simple!

Red Mushroom Stew

Serves 4-6 people
Preparation 35 mins.

2 tbsp butter
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 large sweet onion, diced
2 lbs of mushrooms, washed and cut
1 green pepper, diced
2 tbsp flour
4 tbsp smoked Paprika
2 tbsp regular Paprika
2 tsp of Chili powder
2 cups of vegetable broth
2 tbsp tomato paste
½ cup of plain Greek yogurt
A small handful of fresh parsley, chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

1- In a thick bottomed pan, melt the butter on medium low heat and add the onions, garlic and peppers, cook gently until they are soft and onions are translucent.

2- Add the mushrooms and gently cook them as well for a good 10 minutes, to soften them up.

3- Mix the broth with the spices, tomato paste and flour, stir it well until all the chunks are out. (A covered bottle works the best)

4- Add the fluid to the pot and heat up to a gentle boil. Turn down to a very low heat and simmer for a good twenty minutes, stirring once in a while.

5- Mix in the yogurt and parsley, stir well. Taste and adjust the spices.

I served everything with french meat pie and roasted vegetables. A perfect dish on it's own or as a side. I hope you'll like it. And, oh yes, flower show is coming up. Stay tuned!

Yours truly, 
The Hungry Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment