Sunday, November 25, 2012

Pesto Pesto Pesto


Pesto is one of my favorite flavor in the universe, I have fond memories of my dad making us giant bowls of pasta for the sheer pleasure of eating pesto. Just as chips are the truck that drives salsa to our mouth, so is pasta to pesto. With age I have come to realize that pesto compliments quite a few other food stuff. Actually, just about anything. From chicken to pork passing by fish. Only beef is left but someday, perhaps.

Interesting fact, pine nuts are wicked expensive! So I usually avoid buying them in small containers, or I buy pre-made Pastene pesto, which in all honesty, probably does not contain much pine nuts at all. Also doubled with my friend Maat's adventure with “Pine Mouth Syndrome”, I've been wary of the little buggers and turned myself to my second choice, sunflower seeds. Low in carbohydrates and high in fibers, these little guys are my new friends!

Tonight I'm making Salmon with Pesto, something healthy and tasty after a week of abuse on the diet and my stomach. Also this meal represents everything amazing about my new food philosophy. There is nothing unhealthy about eating fresh ingredients, home made meals. Bread isn't an obligation, it's a choice. From this baker's heart, I truly believe that sometimes the right choice must be made. Not saying that I will never eat bread again, no! I do love bread, but to make the choice between Wonder bread and an artisan loaf is where the importance is for me.

Meanwhile I continue my journey.

Julie's Pesto


2.5 oz basil
1 C fresh spinach
1C Parmesan
2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper
1 C Olive oil (more or less)
1/2 C sunflower seeds
8 buds of garlic peeled

In a food processor, toss everything but the oil. Begin pulsing and add enough oil to create a slightly juicy mixture. You cannot possibly pulse it too much, the texture is your choice.

It can be frozen or stored for later use. Use it on meat, vegetables, pasta or spread on bread.
The entire recipe breaks down as follow: Calories 2672, Fat 264, Net Carbs 14
A gargantuan piece of salmon (3.2 lbs) was the medium for tonight, baked for 20 minutes in a 350F oven. I used 1/2 C of pesto to cover it up generously. Served with sauteed asparagus, tiger shrimps and a salad, made by the salad master himself.
Salad Master Chris


Your hosts, as ever,
Hungry Julie
&
Salad Master Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment