Thursday, August 9, 2012

Summer BBQ

Hungry Julie loves flowers, weee!
 
Last night I had a dream, you know one of those that seems to last all night long, jumping from one image to the other, and as you try to remember it all, the words and images flee a few inches away and you can't seem to remember at all. But this time, one of the image that stuck with me was my vegan-eating friend, upon discovering my kitchen walls lined with cuts of meat like a butcher shop, held out a block of tofu to me with wide eyes and saying " I know you aren't really a tofu person but here, try it!" ... Needless to say, it was a very strange dream. Now before someone goes Freudian on me and demands to know if I was secretly attracted to my mother when I was young; I Do like tofu, it's a great little addition to any dish but I refuse to acknowledge it as a meat replacement. It is not. Tofu dogs are the most horrifying thing I've ever eaten. Couple of weeks ago we shared a meal with my said vegan friends, I brought a salad, they grilled the tofu, now that was tasty. Simply dipped in a Sriracha dressing and grilled on the charcoal. Awesome. Super filling as well. I have lots of respect for these people whom have given up animal products by ethic, I don't believe in the so call healthy benefit of it, the ingredient list in vegan sausage is one scary scientific experiment gone wrong. I do feel slightly hypocrite because I have great love for all things alive but I won't give up the one thing in life which I have control over. The meatpacking industry is one horrible place to work, live by and deal with, as I'm reading in Fast Food America and more so ,I urge people to turn toward local farms for their needs. 

But as I am not grilling tofu tonight, or even grilling. But the mood struck me to make chicken wings after dreaming of that BBQ night. I was going to make Momofuku's octowings only to realize that the darn recipes has sugar in it. I could do without it but I don't think the recipe would taste the same, amazing by the way. Alas, I went hunting for a new recipe, I used the same baking technique as Momofuku because it works great to do it in the oven at high heat, otherwise it dries out the wingies.  Without any further details, I give you, Wings from the Islands! (You choose which island)

never mind the junk drawer in the background, it's your imagination


Island Wings
preparation time: minutes
cooking time: 30 minutes

2 lbs chicken wings
1 tbsp smoked paprika
2 tsp allspice
1 tsp cayenne pepper
¼ tsp ground cloves
1 tbsp lemon zest
half a lemon's worth of juice
4 clove of garlic, pressed
¼ Cup of oil

You could marinate it overnight, but, I never remember, still good.

Oven at 425F.
Mix everything together.
Lay them out on a cookie sheet.
Bake for 15 minutes, flip them over, bake for another 15 minutes.


Enjoy!
Yours truely, 
Hungry Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment