Monday, August 20, 2012

Smells like meat

My Halloween costume

I had never had beef jerky before I came to the USA, never a Slim-Jim touched these lips. But when Chris made me discovered them, I was in love. Fatty meat in a tube, awesome! But my love for jerky came about when Chris revealed his passion for making it at home. Oh joy! The dehydrator, the jerky gun, the spice packets and the smell! Oh my, after a couple hours the house would just smell of deliciousness. The downside is that we can go through a 2 lbs bag in about a day, the stuff is addicting. More recently, during our trip to Lake Placid, NY, we came across The House of Jerky and their amazing stuff. Kangaroo, buffalo, venison, alligator! And there, we had an epiphany, instead of ground beef, they used TOP ROUND. I just had to try it.

Armed with determination and Alton Brown's marinade recipe, I headed to my butcher, Armando's. After the butchers fought each other off to have the delight to serve me, I ordered 2 lbs of top round, cut ¼ inch thick. Once dehydrated, the meat will come to about 14 oz total of jerky. I threw it in the marinade and let it sit for about 6 hours, the salt in the soy sauce is the cure that will keep the jerky fresh for months. (LOL, months, as if it'll last a week). It “cooked” overnight and woke me up with a delicious meat smell.

As I type these words, the bag rests happily next to me, steadily diminishing. Jerky makes a great low-carb snack, the marinade has quite a bit of carbs in it but the amount that is actually absorbed is minimal. Be smart about how much you eat like anything else: moderation, moderation, moderation.

Alton Brown's Beef Jerky Marinade

prep time: 6 hours
cooking time: 7 hours

Ingredients

2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp honey
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp onion power
1 tsp liquid smoke
1 tsp red pepper flakes


Marinade your meat for 6 hours.
Pat each slices of beef with paper towels until completely dry.
Lay the slices out on the dehydrator and follow the instructions.

For oven cooking:

Turn the oven to 150, leave the door slightly cracked while cooking for air circulation.
Place the meat on a wire rack on a cookie sheet without them touching or overlapping each other.
Bake for 7-10 hours, check for done-ness.

Beef Jerky can be stored in a plastic bag or a glass jar for a couple of weeks but I suggest putting it in the fridge if you'd rather not take a chance. Also, you could use lean ground beef or flank steak, or pork or turkey, or bison, or kangaroo, koala, dolphin, kiwis, dodos, pterodactyl etc etc etc

With Love,
The Hungry Julie

2 comments:

  1. The title of this post made me laugh because of Tim and Eric. ♫ Stinks in here. Smells like meat. Rotten meat. ♪

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Good one, I was thinking about Smells like Teen Spirit, I'm not sure why. My original thought was that weird smell that any Spanish butcher shop has when you first walk in.

      Delete