Thursday, July 19, 2012

Meat Science!

Somewhere in me, is a little chef whom wishes I had found a job as a cook somewhere in a grease bowl restaurant. Short order is in my blood but my love/enemy is meat. After years of cooking, perfecting recipes, buying useless gadget... one question remains: HOW DO YOU COOK ROAST?!
Beautiful Marbled Creature
I'm not a griller, I need to cut into things to see if they are done. I'm awful and I admit it. I dry hamburgers like a bug under a magnifying glass. That's one of the reason I keep the husband around.


As far as oven meat goes, after many years of trial and errors, I have come perfect the roast, with the help of my faithful meat probe thermometer. The underused meal option, often reserved for holidays or special events. No longer! It has become a thing of the weekly menu with these simple steps:

Perfectly medium-rare

The Roast
Cooking Time: 1:30H (more or less)
Serves: 4 people
Ingredients:
  • 3.5 LBS Chuck Roast (not shoulder, not butt, not top round, CHUCK!)
  • 4-5 TBSP of olive oil
  • Salt n Pepper
  • Thyme n Rosemary (dry will do)
  • 2 Onions
  • 5 Cloves of Garlic
  • (If you so desire, carrots and potatoes are acceptable, but not for low-carbs)
Turn your oven to 450F.
In a large oven proof dish, place your roast, surrounded by the vegetables.
Liberally cover everything with olive oil.
Sprinkle with spices.
Insert your probe all the way to the center.
Place in oven for 20 minutes.
Turn the oven to 350F.
Continue cooking until your probe reaches 145F. (This will take more or less 1 hour)
Remove from oven, let rest for 10 minutes before slicing into it.



Caramelized onions and garlic cloves, pan fried patty squash in butter complete this very keto plate. 


Enjoy!
And yes, you should invest in a good meat probe thermometer, no argument.
The Hungry Julie

1 comment:

  1. Ummm....like eating shoe leather...

    ReplyDelete