Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Jerk is in the Chicken



Cooking for oneself is boring and bland. If there's any single people reading, you know what I mean. No matter how good the meal you cooked is, no one will cheer you for it. My greatest satisfaction comes from cooking for my husband. I'm not one of those people who needs other's approval to be happy, but when it comes to cooking, it's all about the praises.

I think I've said before that hubby is slightly picky about his food, he hates bones and organs, doesn't like lemon or mustard or mayonnaise. Not the serious stuff but once in a while it irritates me. So it becomes a challenge to make him like it. Lemon and mustard being flavors, there isn't much I can do for that. His dislike of bones are all about eeby-jeebies so I disregard it, especially tonight.

Boneless, skinless chicken breast is the single most boring thing in the universe (even tofu is more fun). A dry cutlet with little flavor that's good enough to grill and mix into a salad. There, I said it. It's poop! I bought four bone and skin breasts, sat dinner in front of him and told him that : “A good cook can make you like something you don't.” He grumbled and took a bite, gave me a shitty grin and asked for more sauce.

Yay me! Jamie Oliver and I make a great team, like ham and cheese, peanut butter and jelly, jalapeno and raspberries... Awesome!
Killer Jerk Chicken
serves 4
Source: Jamie Oliver, Meals in Minutes, 2011

4 chicken breasts, bone and skin on
1 tbsp honey
a few sprig of rosemary
a few spring of cilantro
Salt & pepper
Olive oil

Jerk Sauce

4 scallions
a small bunch of fresh thyme
3 fresh bay leaves
1 tsp ground clove
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
1/3 cup golden rum
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
1 tbsp honey
1 Scotch bonnet chile
4 garlic cloves

Turn the oven to 425F
Heat up a grilling pan on medium high
Rub your chicken breasts with some oil, salt & pepper
Place skin down in the pipping hot grilling pan for a few minutes, until the skin is golden.

Meanwhile the chicken is cooking (my pan is big enough for 2 at a time)

In the food processor, blend in the ingredients for the jerk sauce with 2 tsp of salt and a drizzle of oil and pulse until you have a nice liquid sauce. (You should probably remove most of the seeds from the scotch bonnet chile, also, wear gloves while handling)
Pour the sauce into an large oven-proof dish and place the chicken breast (skin up) on top.
Place the pan in the oven and bake until the chicken is ready. (Use a meat probe to make sure the chicken reaches 165F) About 20 minutes.

You should make some black bean rice with it and grilled corn on the cob! The chicken had an amazing flavor, not too spicy and not too sweet. The Cuban rum really helped too, so delicious!
Eat your veggies too!
Have a good meal!
Hungry Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment