Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Happy Pi Day



Happy Pi Day!

I couldn't let such celebration go un-noticed, especially being a nerd and all that. But not only does the date 3/14 ( In the USA anyway) reminds us of the mathematical magic number ╥, it is also the birthday of Albert Einstein (14 March 1879, Ulm, Kingdom of Wurttemberg, German Empire). Talk about a happy coincidence!

Happy for me and my friends of course, since I've been baking apple pies all morning, small and big ones. I'm supposed to be on the South Beach diet but I decided that a tiny hand-held pie for pi day wouldn't be too bad (yes it is, it's a Julie pie! Evil evil pie!)

Full of tastiness and awesome, everyone has a recipe for it; me, I eyeball everything. Apple pie is about three things, no, four: Crust, Apples, Cinnamon and Sugar. None of that Gruyere, vanilla, salted caramel and basil insanity I read all over the web. Shudder My poor poor little pie, how they have miss-treated you. There there.. I'll take care of you.

Now all we need is for Hallmark to come up with a card for Pi Day!

Apple Pie, a la Julie


Apples.. at least 4, peeled, cored, sliced doused with lemon juice
Sugar (brown or white, or a mix of both)
Cinnamon (lots)
½ tbsp of cornstarch per apple used
Egg wash (1 egg + 1 tbsp water + dash of salt, whisk)


The lemon juice stops the apple from browning while you prepare everything.
Toss the apple slices with enough sugar and cinnamon to cover them.
Toss the cornstarch in there too to thick up the sauce.
Pile in pie crust, cover with top, poke a hole for ventilation, brush with egg wash
Bake at 350F for 45 minutes


It's that easy, you want a nice browned crust but not too dark so keep an eye on it.
I use the Joy of Baking pie crust recipe, it gave me 6 little tart and 1 medium size pie but given the right plate (like my pampered chef deep dish) the recipe is enough for a thick top and bottom.




No comments:

Post a Comment