Monday, January 2, 2012

52 weeks of cooking challenge. Week 1


Yes Virginia, It snows in Canada!
 Ah ha! A new year that we all enter with a full belly and a guilty conscience. We all ate too much and well, pie, cake, meat, grease, bread and cheese, too much wine as far as I'm concerned. My father is very proud of his wine cave and we all profit of his immense knowledge. So for the next few weeks, let's try and lighten it up shall we?

Which brings me to the Reddit Cooking Challenge. I participated in the Secret Santa over the holidays and I had such a blast, I decided to participate in more events and this challenge is right up my alley. 52 weeks and 52 different ingredients to cook with and share our recipes with the group.

This week's ingredient, eggs! Oh I love eggs, over-easy with bacon and home fries is by FAR my favorite but I enjoy quiche and fritata, bread pudding wouldn't be the same without them and hard-boiled in a salad. Hmm drooling just thinking about it. Now the challenge is to use specific ingredients but also to cook something that we never made before, my own twist on it will be to make it healthy. I eyeballed the Scotch Eggs recipes and shook my head, no greasy sausage for this chubby Julie. Then I turned to Eggs in Purgatory, basically eggs poached in tomato sauce and served with crusty bread. It makes an egg-cellent lunch (oh the pun, it hurts!) and since I'm house cleaning, I can toss it in the oven until done. So easy and delicious. I hope you will try it at home, too often we skip lunch or rely on frozen meals, a shame when there are so many easy recipe to throw together.

Eggs in Purgatory
Serves 4

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
2 cans (15 ounces each) diced tomatoes in juice
1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
Salt and pepper
8 large eggs

1.Oven to 350 degrees. Set four 12-ounce ovenproof bowls or ramekins on a large rimmed baking sheet.

2. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add garlic and rosemary; cook, stirring, until garlic is golden, about 2 minutes. Add diced tomatoes (with juice), crushed tomatoes, and 2 tablespoons of Parmesan; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 2 to 4 minutes. Season tomato sauce with salt and pepper.

I used a loaf pan for 3 eggs
3. Divide tomato sauce among bowls, reserving 1 cup. Crack 2 eggs into each bowl. Dividing evenly, top with reserved sauce and 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Bake until egg whites are just opaque (yolks should still be soft), 20 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through.
Baked for 30 mins, far too long
I revised the recipe because the yolk was WAY too cooked at 25 minutes, 20 minutes, less even if you like your eggs more runny. Also you can use pre-made tomato sauce, which is what I'll be doing today, I'm a busy woman you know! Have a great year and stay full.
Super tasty either way! Toast a bun and throw it on there.

~Hungry Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment