Monday, December 12, 2011

Jingle Jingle Jingle!


My house smells like banana bread and chocolate, what's not to love. It's nice and warm here. The tree is shinning and pretty. FA-LA-LA-LA-LA! ~ Too much? Nhaaan, it's the one time in the year that we let down our defenses and allows us to get in touch with our inner child. Although it's very stressful for most, it is for me too! I have to deal with two countries, three families, three moms, 6 aunts, 6 uncles, 2 nephews, 2 brothers and one sister-in-law. Did I mention the 8 hours of drive in the snow? The only redeeming factor is radio WGBS with Prairie Home Companion. I love listening to Charles Dickens reading A Christmas Carol, wonderful trip.

Everything I cook will have booze in it this year: rum balls, dark-and-stormy brownies, rum banana bread.. teee-eheee. It's all good.

A cup of tea and a slice of banana bread helps me forget all of this and wrap the rest of the presents. I will have some spoiled little boys this year, mwahhaha. I will show you pictures when I get back, of all the spoiled bunch. Mama Patty will be watching the cats while we're gone, everyone is getting something hand-made, dear me, so much to do!

I came across this recipe and hope you guys will like it, banana breads may look alike but are all very different. I usually split the batter in 2 long pyrex, it cuts the baking time in half and I get to give half the thing away. Amen! Enjoy.

Marbled Choco-Banana Loaf
Oven at 350F

1 ½ Cups Flour
¾ tsp Baking Powder

¼ tsp Salt
½ tsp Baking Soda

3 Ripe Bananas
½ Cup Brown Sugar
1/3 Cup Unsalted Butter, melted
1 Tbsp Dark Rum
1 tsp Vanilla Extract

1 Large Eggs
3 Tbsp Sour Cream
½ Cup Chocolate Chips, melted
  • 
Grease 1 (or 2) loaf pan
  • Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.


  • Mash the bananas in the mixer, add in sugar, melted butter, rum, vanilla, egg, and sour cream.
  • Lightly mix in the dry ingredients until just combined. Pour in the melted chocolate, and fold manually gently.
  • Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes, (35 minutes for 2 loafs)
  • Place on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, and then remove the bread from the pan.

1 comment:

  1. Julie! I just love you, you are so funny. love your food blog,especially the blog above. I will miss you guys on christmas, but wish you and Chris a wonderful time with your family, and Merry Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. love Terrie

    ReplyDelete