Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Eggs and Ham


Happiness is that easy
 So here I am again, I left the past update on a sour note, but Christmas time sometimes gives me the sadness bug. Sweet memories and homesick-ness but I have to say, I have 2 men to thank for my quick spin around and that would be my awesome Hubby who helped me set up the Christmas tree and to my Secret Santa who sent me the most thoughtful package of gifts I ever received from a stranger. I am -totally- participating in the reddit secret santa next year. It was awesome. I have yet to send my own present but I'm waiting on a book I ordered to fill the box. My own “giftee” lives in Utah and will receive his present by Christmas. Woo!

So I got this amazing bag of wild rice, homegrown in Minnesota, I'm super excited about it and a cool cook book “Cooking for Geeks”. Could not have been more -on the dot- about my likings. The rice had a recipe to make pork chops with it so I'll be trying it this week and let you guys know. Also there was chocolate (a lot of it), yarn and rubber duckies. I haven't been this giddy in a while. Christmas cheer is happening!

So to keep up the fight against homesickness, I'm cooking split pea soup, just like mom used to make. I bought some smoked ham hocks from Armando's and those lovelies are just cooking away, scenting my house with a beautiful smell. Meanwhile I'm wrapping presents for my nephews and my two families. It's a very interesting process since each year we have two Christmas. Once in Montreal and one here in the USA. It's such a pain but I wouldn't have it any other way, I can't wait to see them and my best bud, Stef. Still no clue what I'll get/make him.
For my Grammie!
Speaking of making presents, how do you like this hat? I made it for my grand-mother Claire, she is my sweet heart and she claimed my hubby as her boyfriends a few years ago, so we share. I just love her. I wish I could make more hats and scarfs since I taught myself to crochet, but I gave myself a stress injury in my wrist, oh sadness!! But it's not so bad, I made 5 scarfs and 2 hats. I might make a few more hats, they are quick to make but I feel it in my wrist later. Chris rubs TigerBalm on it, he's so sweet.
Ham Quiche
So the soup is ready and the quiche was awesome, this slice of ham I got with the hocks made a wonderful quiche. How good, now I'm full and happy.
Here's the super tasty ham

Classic French-Canadian Split Pea Soup
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
  • 10 cups water
  • 2 lb dried yellow split peas
  • 1 smoked ham hock (~ 1-2 lb)
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 tsp dried savoury
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. In a bit stock pot, sweat the onions and carrots in butter for 5-7 minute, or until onions are soft on medium-high.
  2. Stir in everything else. Bring the soup to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until the peas are soft.
  3. Remove the ham hock. Pull the meat away from the bone, set aside. Discard the bones and the bay leaves.
  4. Taste soup, and adjust seasoning as needed with salt and pepper. Use a immersion blender to render it smoother. Add the ham in each bowl and serve piping hot.
HALLELUIAH!

As an option you could use 1 lbs of peas and add a couple of potatoes to the soup. It's very very good, you could also add bacon to it, om nom nom. I added a couple pieces of ham too just because I like it meaty.



Meaty Meaty Meaty Meat.
Hungry Julie!

No comments:

Post a Comment