Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Harvest Story


So, my little friends, let me tell you a story, for those whom have a sweet soul, a spicy desire and a gentle touch. 

It all started one day in a pumpkin patch, where those big round fruits grew all summer long, under the warm sun and rain showers. Orange on all sides and green on top, they formed a conga line like none others.

A hunky farmer came by and noticed that some of them were just big enough, round and surely sweet. He picked them and placed them on his truck, that led them to the market, where I came to be. 

Husband in tow and carrying my bags, I ran to the tables where they were laid for my delight. The two I chose appeared to be the biggest of the bunch, I brushed the dirt off and carried them under my arms, back to my kitchen where their fate awaited them.

Fear not! For I was gentle and swift and their sacrifice would not be in vain. I sharpened my knife and pressed down the middle until they split in two halves, filled to the rim with seeds and guts.

Scoop, scoop, scoop, those seeds will be delicious when later cooked. 

Baked for an hour or so, the tender flesh came apart from the skin as easy as saying "cookie"!

Speaking of which, soon I mixed the flesh with sugar and spice, everything nice and these lovely spiced nibbles came out of the oven for my delight. 

The end!

First Harvest Cookies

1 1/2 cups of flour
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups of chilled pumpkin puree
1 egg

Heat the oven to 350F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or spray them with Pam.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, nutmeg.
 
In your mixer bowl, whisk together the sugars, oil, pumpkin and egg.

Add the liquid to the solid and mix until well combined.

Use the smallest cookie scoop and drop them 1 inch apart on the sheets. 

Bake for 10-12 minutes, they should be firm to the touch and the bottom nicely colored. Let them cool on a rack completely.
 
~Enjoy! This recipes makes about 20 somewhat cookies, the smaller the better in my opinion.  -Hungry Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment