Monday, September 12, 2011

Beet me to it!

 
Fall is right around the corner! A long time love story, it never last long enough but as surely as the sun rises in the morning, Fall returns every year. Happy Julie! I'm running plans through my head as we speak, which festivals I'll be attending, among others the Cranberry festival, maybe the big E and most definitely, where to go for Halloween. Fall is great, the food is simply amazing, I get in and out of Four Town farm weekly with a giant box of goodness. My own garden didn't fare so well, after my Vermont Vacation it turned into a wild area and we couldn't catch up with all the weeds and the tomatoes never grew very well. Most of my peppers had worms and Julie was sad. but we had a good beginning with the eggplants and the zucchinis, we'll know what to do different next year.

So today's theme is beets! The one root to rule them all! It stains everything it touches, my hands, the knife, the cutting board, the cat... wait what was that last one?! But anyway, I was reading about the 10 best food we don't eat and raw beets was one of them. Firstly I didn't know you could eat beets raw, I always did the whole roll in oil, salt n pepper and baked for an hour thing, which is pretty darn delicious but I was set to try it differently, I settled on a slaw, when I submitted the idea to Chris he suggested I made my semi-famous Vietnamese pork burgers, and so I did, for an awesome result. A nice light and refreshing dinner for a hot end of summer day. I hope you'll try it!

Vietnamese style pork burgers
makes 4 burgers

1 1/3 lbs of ground pork
2 tsp lemongrass, minced
2 tsp fish sauce
2 tsp oyster sauce
salt and pepper

Mix the meat together with the sauces and let it rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.

Garnishing

8 thin slices of cucumber
1 carrot, cleaned and julienned
1/2 C white vinegar
1/2 C water
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 C mayo
1 tbsp Sriracha (rooster sauce!)
1/4 C fresh cilantro
4 kaiser rolls

First slice your carrots and put them in a small bowl with the water, vinegar, salt and sugar. Microwave for 10 seconds and let it rest in the fridge to marinate them slightly. Mix the mayo with the Sriracha. 
When it comes to making the burgers, form 4 patties and grill them or fry pan until done which is about 3 minutes on each side.  Spread the spicy mayo on both side of the bun and press in some fresh cilantro. Place the julienned carrot on the bottom, then the patty, top with the cucumber slices. (Or really, layer them the way you prefer.)

Raw Beet Slaw

1 beet
1 carrot
1/4 head of cabbage
1 tbsp honey
4 tbsp rice vinegar
1 inch of ginger, grated
5 tbsp Canola oil
salt and pepper to taste

I used the big hole side of my grater for the beet and carrot and sliced the cabbage in slightly bigger chunks. Mix all the dressing ingredients with it and let it sit for 20 minutes for the flavors to work together. Taste and adjust the spices, I personally like a very peppery slaw.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment