Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Take-Out Dilemma

The Take-Out Dilemma

As much as I like cooking, there's a point where I reach my limit and I just can't do anything. Right now as I type these words, there's a pile of dishes behind me calling my name from the Meatballs + Spaghetti  dinner I threw together for my husband and a new girl from work, whom is very nice and delighted me by saying these simple words: "Me? I eat everything." And promptly devoured my leftovers pizza-with-everything-even-anchovies, I was shocked, amazed, aroused, on a culinary level. I see a future for this tiny woman and myself around a table, I so swear it, but anyway I digress; dirty dishes. 
Made more Zucchini/Cranberry bread
Since I moved here to the boondocks that is Rhodes Island, I've been saddened by the lack of take-out options, Chinese or Pizza? The sad part is that neither have amazing options either, there's a decent pizza place in Providence but the location is right in college town, which makes it a nightmare to pick up. As for Chinese, that's even worst, any combination of words such as *Lucky, Tasty, Golden* mixed with *Garden, House, Palace, Dragon* makes my stomach turn faster than milk and beer together, and to my greatest chagrin, my husband loves nothing more than a greasy general tso's chicken or beef and broccoli. Oh Woe is me! I give in once in a while, I generally choose low-mein, it's an easy dish to spice up if it turns out bland. And that is part of my dilemma, ordering bad food out of laziness and then the later mea culpa when I dish out $8-10 per person for something I could have made in a jiffy myself for $2 a serving. I usually declare never again shall I order this junk but still, a few weeks later I let Chris talk to me into it. I make a darn good fried rice.
 
But no take-out this week, no sir-eee! We're catching up from the vacation week and I'm cooking things from the freezer and garden. Last night I made Eggplant Parm, straight from the garden. Which amounted to a metric ton of fried eggplant.
 

Eggplant Parmesan
  1. Cut your eggplant in 1/4 inch thick slices, dip in a beat up egg and coat with a mix of bread crumbs and Parmesan. 
  2. Leave on a plate until you've done all of them and while the fryer is heating. You want your oil to be hot, but not sizzling in your face hot. Since i don't own a fryer, a deep skillet with half an inch of oil will do just fine.
  3. Fry the eggplant on both sides until they are nice and golden, remove to a paper towel.
  4. Plate in a baking dish topped with fresh sliced mozzarella and cover with tomato sauce.
  5. Bake at 350F until the cheese is melted, just about 10 minutes. Serve with pasta.
Be careful with the oil -_-
Oh so pretty!
    But all pretty things aside, I baked them and tossed them in a bowl for me and husband. We're not fancy eaters in the sense that I own one set of dishes and we usually eat out of bowls because we're lazy like that. This is what it looked like when we ate it.
    Bon appetitUntil next time!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment