Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Bring out the lemons, the storm is over!

We survived! 
Not even just a little, we did fine. Every winter or storm I wonder if we'll lose power but nope, I believe because we're on the same grid as a big factory down the street, we get a more solid line. I can't complain. But as the Contess de Monsegur once wrote: "Apres la pluie, le beau temps"- Meaning, after the rain, comes the sun, the very next day was a beautiful sunny and bright day. People were walking around enjoying their day off from work, looking at the damage or simply enjoying that the world did not end as predicted by the media. To celebrate, I made Lemon Pound Cake, a low-ish fat version of the original from Country Cooks Illustrated. I haven't tasted it yet but my neighbor hasn't tossed the plate back at me yet, they're my guinea pigs, mhahahaha. I had my eye on the recipe for a while and since Stop and Shop had big bunches of lemons for $1, I jumped at the occasion. My farm and butcher lost power briefly but there wasn't any traffic light along Newport ave, I decided to take the easy and safe route to the dreaded SnS. I regretted right away, but then again, there were lemons.

When life gives you lemon.. you make lemon pound cake. Enjoy!

Cook's Country Lemon Pound Cake
For: 1 loaf 81/2 X 41/2 pan, or 3 mini-loaf 51/2 X 3

Cake:

1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 C low-fat sour cream
1 1/2 TBSP Lemon zest
1 1/2 TBSP Lemon juice
1 C sugar
6 TBSP softened butter
3 eggs, room temperature

Glaze:

2 TBSP confectioner sugar
1 tsp Lemon juice

1. For the cake, set the oven to 300F, grease your mold.
2. Mix your flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
3. In your mixer put the butter, sugar and lemon zest, mix for 2 minutes.
4. While this happens, whisk the lemon juice and sour cream together.
5. Back to the mixer, add the eggs one at a time until absorbed.
6. Now alternate sour cream and flour mixture until all is absorbed.
7. Pour into the mold and tap it firmly against the counter several times.
8. Into the oven, 60 minutes for a big loaf, 50 for small ones. Insert toothpick blablabla if ready. The top will be golden brown

Cool completely before frosting.

Mix the sugar and juice together until smooth, pour over the cake whimsically and eat to enjoy! Great with hot tea!
Love me my lemons!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment