Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Back from the Wild

Maine Blueberry 2011
 
Ah! Back from the wild.
Coffee is an additional adult bonus
If you follow my Yelp reviews you will see some the stops we did while on Mt.Desert Island in Maine, we had a grand ol' time I tell you. Not only did we have the most wonderful weather there can be and on top of that, we found the best food on the entire island, leave it to my nose to KNOW where to go. Sure our breakfast were simple and childish, Pop-Tarts and Rice-Crispies treats cereals, cream of wheat etc. Camping is the one link to my childhood I will never relent and sugary cereals are part of it. 
We ate lunch out most everyday because we were on the road, we did however had a mini piknik on Mt.Cadillac and boy did we regret that. They literally -paved- the top of the mountain so that people could walk around and look on. Because, you know, normal rocks isn't good enough for the busloads of tourists that were rotating around us while we tried to eat sandwiches. So yeah, one place to avoid, the top of the tallest mountain around. Even mt.Washington was less crummy than that. 
Next time we'll hike it

But passing, we hiked everyday in the morning (to pass the sugar) and at night we ate on the Coleman gas stove, nothing too special, I did one big meal, otherwise we ate hot dogs, mac n cheese and beans. Last year in Virginia, I gave myself so much trouble and it wasn't worth it, this time, no leftovers and no extensive cooking. The last night I made a jambalaya that would make kings jealous with local cherry stone clams and smoked chicken leftovers from my lunch at Maine-ly meats. Sadly one of the clam was filled with sand, whereas the others were all clean and the jambalaya was very... crunchy. My advice would then be that you steam the clams outside the pot and add them after but I only had 2 burners and I was making steamers on the other one *cackle*. The best way to do those is to mix part white wine and chicken broth, cover and steam until they are all wide open and not a minute longer, you won't even want to look at butter after you taste those. I remember some little necks steamed in sake we had at Enn and boy was it amazing. I want to try it with red wine at some point, ooooh the possibilities. Still, if you are in your home kitchen, there's no reason to take short cuts, but at the same time, sand in your camping food is ok by my book; it's part of the whole experience.

Chris bought me this lovely singing bowl at a local artist shop, we got to talk with the woman who made it, she is a blacksmith, I mean, how cool is that. It's not a profession that you see a lot of women in. It's made in steel and the mallet is a rock from a local beach, there were some in seashells too but this one made the greatest sound, all of them were different but this particular one gives out a very clear and high pitch ring, Chris and I agreed it was the best and there went $42 but I can't regret giving money to someone who makes a living making art rather than hamster-wheeling in an office. The store was really neat overall, there were some very cool copper wire sculptures that were made by an electrician, they were very neat. 
It sounds really neat
So yeah, Jambalaya, and with an added bonus, Coma-Burgers, a recipe by Brian and Sarah, our friends from Maine. 

Quick and Dirty Jambalaya

1 c of yellow rice
3 cups of chicken broth
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 whole chicken breast, fully cooked and diced
1/2 lb of shrimps or 1lb of small clams, raw
1 vidalia onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
salt, pepper, red pepper flakes

Melt some butter or heat up some oil in a deep pot, toss in the pepper, onion, celery until softened.

Add the rice, broth, tomatoes, shrimps and chicken. Bring to a boil and cover. Lower to a simmer.

Let simmer for 30 minutes, stir every once in a while (careful to the steam). Adjust the liquid if necessary. 

It's ready when the rice is done.

This is a very easy recipe but pretty darn good if you're having a cook out or a couple's night. You could add some sliced kielbasa or hot Italian sausage too for a more authentic look. Peas and okra works too.


Coma Burgers

2 lbs of hamburg, 80%
1 egg
salt and pepper
1 package of ready-cooked bacon, cut in pieces
4 oz of blue cheese, shredded.
Char Crust, or blackening spices

Mix the hamburg with the egg and salt n pepper. Form 8 thin patties.

Place 2 slices of bacon in the middle of a patty and about 1 oz of cheese, do this for 4 patties total.

Sandwich them with a plain one and smooth out the edges to seal properly. Keep them as thin as possible.

Spread Char Crust or blackening spices over both sides and grill with the cover down until done. 

Eat, then go to coma-land. 

Sorry for the lack of pictures of food, my camera ran out of batteries after 2 days and my new battery charger dosn't work, turns out. Sad Julie. I'll have a new one soonish I hope. 
 
The garden keeps growing, and the weeds were crazy!!! Going to work up some courage to go today and work on that, I got a huge amount of arm size zucchini and a bunch of banana peppers, a few cucumbers and a couple of eggplants are soon ready to be picked. yum! See you soon!

-Hungry Julie

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading this post. Nice photos. Can't go wrong with a burger... love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks- I feel bad for the lack of pictures haha, I need a new battery charger anyway. I'll be making them again before the end of the summer :)

    ReplyDelete