Thursday, July 21, 2011

Camping Cooking

Ah! Camping, how I love thee. I freaking LOVE it, I get excited like a kid again when it comes to packing the car. Now last year we spent a week in the scorching heat of Virgina, this year we're going to coastal Maine, in the area of Bar Harbor. Camping on the beach and cooking on the Coleman stove. SQUEE~ Everything to make a happy Julie out of me. I was picking at my pantry to see what I could bring, while last year I tried my best to make gourmet dinner, this time will be somewhat different. I'll be doing gourmet CAMPING food. What a nightmare trying to make risotto; ergo, time for casserole and glops and good old fashion blue box mac n cheese, a la Julie.

My father is yet again an inspiration when it comes to camping and by the end of the week he would open the cooler and throw everything in a pot, cook and serve. This mush usually consisted of meat, rice and tomatoes which was baptized “Caramaniole en Bretelle, a papa” Go figure but it's also a great meal to do before leaving for a long camping and the house is empty of any foods, which is what I made just before I left for Montreal last month. (I'm a little late on updates, I know..)
 

Camping Goulash or Caramaniole en Bretelle
courtesy from my dad

28 oz diced tomato, juice and all
16 oz can chick peas
1 cup frozen green peas
10 oz of frozen shrimps
2 cups of chicken broth
1 cup of wild rice
1 cup of white rice
1 generous tsp of chili sauce
salt and pepper

Place everything but the shrimps in a deep skillet, bring to a boil, cover and simmer on low for 10 minutes, undisturbed.
Give the whole thing a good stir, taste the rice and add more liquid if needed, add the frozen shrimps and cover.
Leave undisturbed for another 5-10 minutes.


1 comment: